Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spike Aerator?

Bruker

Has anyone here ever used or own a spike type aerator? I'm not talking about the plug type that actually pulls a plug of dirt out of the ground but rather the type that uses a gang of star shapes wheels with spikes that cut unto the ground. They probably aren't as effective as the plug type but they also probably don't make the mess either. What are your opinions?

Have never used either but its my understanding the spike type actually pack the soil more, which makes sence when you think about it since your basicly driving a wedge into the ground, pushing the soil to the sides.

i have tryed both the plugger does make a mess pull out those plugs. and the aerator just punches the holes. that about all you need holes in the soil air, water,and oxygen. i think most pefer the pluger. ithink they both work. jj

Where I go to school we have a spile aerator. I am part of the students hired to work and Michael Wells is still told to bring his plug aerator to school because our janitor likes it better than the spike aerator. Hope this helps. BKASSULKE

I've owned a spike aerator for 17 years. Some of the uses I found for aerator are: Used in garden to break crust so plants can get through easier. I spread grass seed on ground and run aerator over to cover grass seed. The grass in my front yard was sowed that way. In fall when I multch leaves. I usually pull aerator behind mower multching leaves. Before I apply dry fertilizer I run areator over the area I want to fertilize. Holes in ground will allow fertilizer to get into ground. My feelings are the spike type aerator does loosen ground. I have a sears aerator that has spikes 2 inches apart sideways and front to back. Mine is 36 inches wide and I put 100 pounds on it.