Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Tuning - Almost a hit-miss type of sound

I'm diagnosing and trying to get a 23D tuned up. So far I've replaced the gas line and used carb cleaner. The engine runs strong small puff of smoke every so often. It's been converted to the coil type of ignition verses the magneto. When it runs, I get a smooth running sound, but consistently it will every 5 to 6 seconds idle down and then pick up. Is that the governor or could this be the fuel supply (i.e. the carb).

you might try adjusting the carb. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?topic_id=26343

That was a post had exactly what I was looking for, thanks toad270. From what I read, I'll need to try a few things yet to determine if it's the governor or the carb.

Michael, A carb that is out of tune will make the governor move up and down. Readjusting the carb usually smooths out everything. The governor usually either works or doesn't work. If it has the wrong springs or they are set wrong, then it will either be slow to respond under load, or respond too quickly, but I've never had a governor pulsate like yours is. As I said, the carb tuning should cure it.

Well at least I know more than some of the students in my class. I "DO" try to keep my tractors running good. :D

Thank you all. I am now anxious to get home and try to tune this up. This was a big help getting some ideas so I can be more effective when I do get home. I sailed a 30 hour race over the holiday weekend, didn't want to ignoy my neighbors running my engine on the holiday and now I am working in Vermont for two days... I'll be back in CT on Wednesday and I'll give this a try when I return.

Yes I know I don't know as much as you Maynard. I learn more as problems come along and that's why I turn to those like you to help me learn more about them. Some don't know what makes the wheels turn in a car. :D

Maynard, I'm at my ski chalet in West Dover VT, I think I'm still about 3 hours from you. I'm doing some redesign work on the house while working remote on my regular job.

Michael Just head north on Rt 100 till you can't go any further on 100 and you will be in newport.

Funny, I am looking onto C-Band or the 4DTV satellite dish systems and one of the two or three vendors in VT is in Newport VT. Must be something about how rural you are up there. So how many hours on Route 100 do you think it would be? I live 2000' from 100.

Michael It would be faster to take 100 south to 9 east to Brattleboro then I91 north then it is 2 1/2 hrs to Newport 160 miles from Brattleboro. I have Starband satellite internet installed by The Antenna Man in Newport. Starband was the original 2way (upload/download) satellite internet system. I looked at the others but like Starband better. The Antenna Man (Wayne and Jeff) are good people to deal with.

So earlier today at lunch I tuned up the engine by working the two adjustment screws and replacing the spark plug. A new plug wacked all my settings the first tune up; didn't think it would do that, but I could hear a stronger engine after replacing the plug. The first plug just stopped sparking when I put it on the head outside the plug hole. So it is continue trying to clean this machine up time. Thanks for the help on this.

quote:
Originally posted by michaelg221
So earlier today at lunch I tuned up the engine by working the two adjustment screws and replacing the spark plug. A new plug wacked all my settings the first tune up; didn't think it would do that, but I could hear a stronger engine after replacing the plug. The first plug just stopped sparking when I put it on the head outside the plug hole. So it is continue trying to clean this machine up time. Thanks for the help on this.
Somewhere in the Briggs archives, bad spark plugs amount to 95% of all engine problems, yet people re fuse to by a plug thinking it should go for more then five years, UGH!!!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Justin I am sure with your years of mechanical experence that was a real educated guess.
LOL! Maynard I have this feeling he's trying to build up the number of times he has posted.

Gee Wiz, Maynard, It sounds like a little reciprocity and hypocrisy going on here in your response to Justin...
quote:
Tom/PK You could also keep your personal comments to yourself.
Always being chastised, Tom(PK)