Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JeffG

gen/starter

Al
Hi, Sounds to me like the commutator may need to be turned. At slow speeds the bruch springs can puch the brushes to follow the out of round comutator, when the RPM s come up the bruches just bounce from the peaks and don't contact all the way around. Since the generator is turning in excess of 10,000 rpm at full throttle you must have a round com. to work. It will need to be turned in a lathe and then the mica between the segments unercut. After turning and undercutting it needs to be lightly sanded in the lathe topolish it and reduce brush wear. Then it needs to be checked on a growler to be sure no shorts exist between the bars on the comutator. Good luck, AL. Yell if you need more info.

JeffG
To keep anyone interested in the gen/ starter problem I've been having up to date, here is the latest. Today I repolarized gen/start using a freshly charged bat. Result of polarization is that my gen light comes on when I turn key to on position as would be expected, light goes out when engine starts and stays out up to about 3,000 rpm. At that point, light comes on and stays on until idled down. If engine is brought to wide open throttle, light once more comes on. Stays on again till I bring it down to idle. Strange. Will keep you all posted on my progress. Until then...happy mowing!

ka9bxg
Wow, excellent line of thinking Al. Just measured my two pulleys to check your math. You are correct about 10,000 RPM's. Dont know if you saw my earlier post, so I'll inform you that the unit is a fresh rebuild with bearings instead of bushings, and new end cap to except them. Mabey i can put stronger brush springs in similar to what I did with the valve springs in my 7000 rpm Chevy small block. (LOL) Seriously though, I suppose I could put a 4 in. pully on the gen to slow it down. But im pretty sure what I'll do is take the unit back to the rebuilder along with the tractor and show him the problem. I think I'll print your response and show it to him also. I just hope to god that I don't offend him as he is a sponsor for my bro's race car.