Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs actting strange

KSever

Been runinng this Briggs 10 HP cast iron for nearly a year now in the Landlord with out any problems except for iceing up in the winter. One problem though---> Runs really good for about two minutes at 3/4 throttle then begins to back fire and wants to quit, runs real good at 1/2 throttle all the time. I am running the coil,points,battery ignition and have tried adjusting the points, Adjusted the carb to run smooth but then again it will start backfiring after about two minutes on 3/4 throttle. I have tried changing the ignition back to the electronic ignition but no change so I put the coil ignition back on yesterday. Seems as though when it wants to kick in with the governor this happens also. I did also change the head gasket yesterday since it was leaking just a bit (got a NOS headgasket). Any ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you have a fuel flow problem from the tank to the carb. Runs good till the fuel level drops in the carb. Backfires indicate a lean condition caused by lack of fuel. Check the fuel line and filter. Make sure gas is flowing a full stream.

My thoughts are the same as Rod. Take off fuel line at carb and blow back into tank and see what happens for a while. Don't be surprised how fast gas tanks collect debris.

10HorseMan
Blow back into the tank. Depending on how long the fuel filter has been on the tractor it may be stopped up. :D

Bob and Rod, Thanks for the ideas, I reran the gas line so it had a longer and lower loop going to the carb. Runs like a champ now with no backfire. Didn't think it would run this good, in fact it hasn't since I got the tractor put back together a year ago. Kris

maxtorman1234
That's pretty much the same problem with the model 19 in my old 725, new gas line didnt help though,