Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A Busy Monday with a AC314

KSever

Had a good and busy day working in the garage on Monday just me and some of my tractors.Decided to put the AC314 back together to make sure everything was going to fit plus work correctly before I take it apart again and restore the paint. I also swapped the 300 series frame for a 400 series frame to get the heavier front end, after doing the frame I had to also do the dash support as these are different. But I wanted to keep the 300 series dash so I still have the hole for the tach that I will be putting in.

started out like this in the morning.

After swapping the front frame and dash support plus trying out the fit of the 300 series dash on the 400 series dash support.

Almost forgot it still has the toolbox under the seat.

Also made a bracket and mounted the electric lift.

I will keep this post updated of the progress I make since I still have to get this tractor all together and running before I tear it back down for paint.

Looks like a fun project, Going to be the first RBT restoration I've seen step by step. I like the Chevy in the background. Is it a 65? If I had the truck what I would be doing is hooking up a trailer to haul the Landlord around in parades in such. Maybe even a magnetic sign on the doors that advertises the local Simplicity dealer.

how about the truck 6 or 8 cly? did you restore it? did some of this tractors have a tach? does the 3oo and the 4oo have the same type steering? jj

Thanks for posting these pictures - I'll be interested in following the progress as well. The Landlord and the Chevy sure do look nice, I can't wait to see the 314 finished. (I just don't know how you guys keep your garages so neat - I think I spend more time looking for stuff than I do actually working!).

Nick, The truck is a 63 I picked it up last October to go with the 64 Landlord :D. If you remember I picked this tractor up last year from a friend at work. The only way I got it from him for the $50 I paid was with the understanding I would restore it, this was his dads tractor that passed away from cancer about 3 years ago and he didn't want to part with it. But he was pleased to find out I would restore it in his dads memory and he could take all the pictures he wanted. If it wasn't for this I wouldn't be restoring a RBT. :D JJ, As for the engine it has a 283 8cyl and I have only done minor little things to keep it running until I pick up my other 1976 truck in Des Moines,IA. I'm planning on changing to the 350 built along with a automatic, the under carriage from the 76 to the 63 only to get the front disk brakes and the rearend to get the higher gear ratio. Along with the tilt wheel, power steering, and moving the gas tank from behind the seat to under the bed. Then I'm planning on putting on the air bag suspension for that dropped show look. Just a few little modifications but it is my winter project for many winters. As for the 300, 400 series tractors some of them came with a tach and some of them had a cutout hole for them but this 400 series dash I had didn't have the cutout. The steering is slightly different as the steering wheel changed just a little and they will not interchange.

Oh Clyde, You didn't see what was behind the camera that wasn't so neat.;) Now I just have to clean this up.

Actually Justin, it is NOT in every shop. I try very hard to keep my shop clean as I don't like hunting for tools. But days when I get preoccupied with a project I seem to lose control of the bench.

Kris, I think you will find that there is a little less play in the steering if you use the 300 series columm and wheel.

I never had control of the bench, its always covered in stuff. I find I'm usually spending more time looking for parts than working on things too. Looks good, but i would have kept the 300 frame. My 310 is the easiest to steer of them all, and i think the frame is thicker too. DOes that have the original 10HP motor in it?

Almost, I have 2 pulling tractors and I am always tearing up somthing. Every little thing counts. My bench looks like a pile of junk but some of my parts are cross usable. Not to mention behind the shop the pile of junk/spare parts. :D

i've seen some 69, 70, 71 short bed truck that a newer type step side bed had been installed they move their gas tanks to the rear of truck bed.the spot where the spare would be . they are using a car gas tank.BY THE WAY ALL WHERE CHEVS. JJ

quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
Looks good, but i would have kept the 300 frame. My 310 is the easiest to steer of them all, and i think the frame is thicker too. DOes that have the original 10HP motor in it?
Actually the frames are the same except how they mount the front ends, and the front wheel mounts are built thicker on the 400 series. As for the steering the 300 and 400 series that I have are identical except the top how they mount the steeringwheel. The 300 has teeth on the end of the shaft and the 400 steeringwheel just slides over the shaft and you put the bolt through the wheel and the shaft. As for the engine No it is not a 10HP. This is a 314 with a 14HP Kohler that still has the standard bore piston and doesn't even smoke a bit.

It looks like a lot of fun toys in your garage Kris!! Don't worry about the work bench, If your getting things done stuff is going to appear. The 300/400 looks like an interesting project, does the landlord get jealous seeing you with another tractor? The tach in the dash look cool. Good luck on your project!

Mack, I did change back to the 300 steering gear and wheel. I rebuilt the gear so it didn't grind and of put grease in the zirk. Had no grease before for some reason. I did like the 300 steering gear better but I didn't want to rebuild it (I just can't stand playing with all those little ballbearings inside). Mike, I'm not too sure about the tach yet. It will take a little tuning to get it right for this engine. As for the Landlord I do share my time with her since she was my first baby in the bunch at home now. I take her out for a walk everyday and boy do I mean a walk (installed a that new 10" drive pulley in the back for running the snowblower). She just doesn't like to run anymore.:D

Kris Yea,the splined shaft wheel eliminates the little slop that is present on the bolt through wheel. How are you planning on doing the dash when you repaint?It seems to be a big textured decal. My 314H was first in line for refurbishing untill the B-112's diverted my attention.[:0];)

The dash I'm going to take down to my sign guy (Signs By Tomorrow) and see what he says. The dash that I took off the 400 series tractor had a metal insert with a decal on top of the metal where the 300 series had just a vinyl decal on the dash, so I can use the metal insert as a template since it fits identical except for the tachometer hole. As for the decals on the side of the hood I've been working with a dealer on here and he has got them looking just like originals. I do have a sample that he sent me, But I still have to pay for the final decal that he modified. The background color on the final decal is clear and will let the creme color of the hood be the background of the decal. I just wasn't up to putting on the generic Allis decal on my hood.

quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
Looks good, but i would have kept the 300 frame. My 310 is the easiest to steer of them all, and i think the frame is thicker too. DOes that have the original 10HP motor in it?
Guess i wasnt fully awake when i posted this, I meant to say 14HP.