Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Soverign

MikeH

I talked with a friend tonight that works at the Simplicity Factory. He has worked on the line for the last 35 years. He had told me that Simplicity has plans for running 500 more Soverigns off the line this summer and that is it. Good Luck! Mike in Wisconsin

Don't look like it will be too long till they're out of the garden trac business.It's a sad day for sure.Yeah,yeah I know the Landlord is a 'garden tractor' but not a 'real' one! Hey Mike, see if your friend has a power steer assy. for a Sov. I need one? Wouldn't we love to be rooting around in THAT Co.'s dumpster!?? dlc

I would like to have the one with that last serial number! How good a friend is he Mike? If it's not spoken for.... :)

Jeff, He is a good friend, but I would think that the last one has already been spoken for. I will ask him the next time I see him. On another subject, he was telling me stories of all the parts and transmissions for numerous tractors that they made were all scraped. When the specific tractor line was shut down all the remaining parts were thrown away. However, he and his co-workers managed to fit a few parts in their "lunch box". Mike

The worst thing that he said was the factory can not keep up with the demand for the Regent model. He said homeowners these days only look at the $$$$ and not about the quality. The Regent is basically a throw away model in 5-10 years. Little do some people know that one could spend a minimal amount and pick up a decent used older garden tractor and have a better machine in the long run. Have a good one. Mike in Wisconsin

Looks like bad news for Sim's future to me.They will NOT be able to compete with MTD,Murray and all the rest of the 'throw away' makers.Now that they gave up the med price mkt. machines.And true, todays public cares ONLY about price not quality.Unless they have a big contract in the works with a dept. store to mass merchandise their Regent. dlc

Thanks for "setting things straight" Mike. Times, like people, do change and so it goes with tractors too - out with the old and in with the new as they say. I for one don't see why the newer Regent/Express models would be called "throw aways". With a decent construction and Simplicity's excellent history of supplying parts they can still be made to go indefinetly - especially if matched properly to the intended chore. Only time will tell - in about 10-20 years!

Are you guys talking about the Regent or the Express. I thought the Express was the "budget" model of the line. I know the Regent is not a heavy duty machine but I thought it was better than the Home Depot MTD/Murry stuff. I thought the Express was the throw away model. I don't own either so I'm not offended with any of the comments... Also, I wonder if Simplcity plans to replace the Soverign with a new model or will they only carry 2 garden tractors in the line, the Landlord and the Legacy? I don't hear much about the Legacy here. Is it a beafy tractor like the old ones? It does have a 2 speed tranny. Does anyone have one?

Mike H, I don't know who your friend is that works at Simplicity, but I work at Simplicity and let me assure you that our intention is to stay in the lawn and garden business. We are currently building the last of the Sovereign tractors this summer. Our products are still top quality. Someone sail we are throwing out parts. Those parts were obsolete inventoy the our service parts group is not handling any more, not anything current. The Regent and Express are not throw away models since customers will be able to purchase parts fot many years to come. But they are units that the first time buyer can more easily afford. Even our competitors in green have the Sabre model at a Murray price. Compare that to our Regent and you will find that the regent has been "beefed up " since it's introduction several years ago and is a much better tractor. New designs, innovation and focus on quality while still competing with the "big guys" has been and will always be the main goal in our business. If you have any questions or just want to know what's going on here feel free to e-mail me at, mev@smimail.com at Simplicity Mfg. I am Mgr. of Fabrication Operations at Simplicity.