Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity has a new owner................

BLT

Briggs has purchased it. http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docid=80863 Moderators leave it here for a while and then move it. Thanks Bob Tiarks

:(:(:(:(:( What`s next box stores and junk like MTD? I hope this doesn`t turn into a bad thing.

Wow, never thought I would see this happen! It probably won't be good for the Simplicity reputation. ( No disrespect intended to Briggs! ).

Clyde you do have a point there. I have always liked my Briggs engines. Just hope that corporate greed doesn`t send them to box stores and hurt alot of loyal dealers and customers.

I don't know about this. The majority of Briggs engines sold today are vertical shaft. Unless Briggs only puts horizontal-shaft Vanguards in the new ones... I'd be happy if Briggs could put out some more replacement parts for the old tractors. They probably won't, though. John Deeres have Briggs and cheap Kohlers in the Depot Deeres. The heavier-duty Deeres run Kohler and Kawasaki V-twins. The compact tractors have Yanmar liquid-cooled diesels.

maxtorman1234
I'm thinking these tractors will be junk now, just like the new briggs engines, made of PLASTIC

Sooner or later I guess it had to happen. Another company eaten up. I'm sure it will not be a good thing in the long run. Luckily I like the old ones better anyway. Mike

maxtorman1234
Yep, I like the old ones too, We just better be able to get all the parts for them we can now.

I wonder if the FTC will say that B&S has too much of a market share now...Kohler etal wont be happy.

10HorseMan
quote:
Originally posted by AC808
I wonder if the FTC will say that B&S has too much of a market share now...Kohler etal wont be happy.
Might be another Microsoft, Buy up all of the market, no competetion, prices where they want them "HIGH" Another Monopoly :D

Briggs and Stratton has always had engines as their primary product. In the early 1980's, in part due to the influx of Japanese engines, American engine sales sagged for all manufacturers. During this time, Kohler was carried by their plumbing fixtures. Tecumseh was carried by their compressors. Briggs had nothing to fall back on and nearly went broke. Hopefully, Briggs has picked up Simplicity for little more than diversity in the event that a situation similar to the 1980's hits them again. Pat

You guys are all thinking of worse case scenarios. Think Positive it Could be a Good thing. I'm sure somewhere in that selling contract that ol mister Simplicity has some good stipulations before they would sell. Who knows maybe they will bring back a Retro Landlord as anew model.

Here is the spin from our newspaper. http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/jun04/233808.asp

Considering Simplicity wasn't really a 'privately' owned co. anymore anyway, I'll say it could prove to be a ggod thing.

I am going to speculate that this will bring about a foreign replacement for the new Legacy XL since the XL is priced so high (almost $2 grand more?) compared to the competition. My brother has been looking for a new sub-compact and he won't touch the Simplicity due to the price of the tractor and the attachments. Deere, Kubota and New Holland all beat Simplicity by almost ten percent on price with comparable features and quality. Also Briggs has not been shy about importing a diesel from Japan (Daihatsu) rather than develope their own. And off-shore manufacturing is all the rage today in an attempt to increase profit margins and market share. If I were employed in the Simplicity engineering group I think I would update my resume.:(:(:(

bigcountry
Considering that most of their smaller ones use Briggs engines, I would think that they would become more affordable being closer to the engine mfg.

It must be true Maynard, that's why I gotta wear a hard hat tieing re-bar in a wide open field, with only the sky overhead.