Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brent_Baumer

Opinion on engine color

Brent_Baumer
My 725 has a replacement 8hp engine that is currently gold in color. I have removed the shrouding and have begun the cleanup in prep for paint. I am leaning toward painting it flat black since it is not original anyway and think it will look better than going with the original all orange everywhere scheme. If you were buying it from me, would you rather have an original looking orange motor or would you care since the engine is not original anyway? Opinions appreciated. Thanks, Brent

Nick
Brent, If it were me I would paint it black. I own a 7HP replacement briggs painted gold, and if I ever come across a Simplicity that needs an engine I was going to paint it black. I like the way it looks against the orange.

BLT
Brent it is your machine and you have been given good advice. One last shot. I re-powered a Broadmoor 728 eight years ago with a Briggs 12HP IC engine that I got with the Murray RLM that I bought at an auction. Anyways, I couldn't mount it and save the hood and grill, so I repainted things a bit to blend in the engine. http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/hot_broadmoor.htm I even made headlight brackets for the original lights. I still have the original engine hood and grill, if I want to get it as close to original as possible. A few weeks ago, I got this:

There has been some talk but it was free. Look at engine. Kind of looks butt ugly. I just re-mounted it tonite with some help of rattle can engineering.

You can that it breaks up the lines a bit. Keep in mind it is purely up to you. You have to like it and live with it.

Boney
I have seen Orange ones that I have liked and I have seen black ones that I like. For me it depends on the whole tractor and how it looks together. My reccomendation is that if you are going to keep it and enjoy it then paint it the way you would like it and have fun with it. If you are building it to resell it to make money then paint it stock colors. Above all have fun with it. :)