Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need two more stalls!! (pics added)

PatRarick

A guy called today and asked if I remembered him as the one who beat me out of a (Simplicity built)Homelite T-10 at an auction sale a while back. Yup, sure do. The tractor and mower deck were very nice, but I could hear a problem with the engine. I stopped at $350, and he got it for $360. He asked if I was interested in a good running B-12. Center spindle shaft on the mower deck broke last fall. I figured he had replaced the B-12 with the Homelite. I asked "How much?". He answered that he wasn't sure, then said he wanted to sell the Homelite too. Engine was weak and the deck needs bearings. Was more interested in the Homelite, so I asked him how much he wanted for that one (expecting to hear at least as much as he paid for it last summer). He answered, "Well, I guess I'd be satisfied with $300 for the pair." Told him I was definately interested, but the tractor fund was short for a couple of weeks until my receivables from cemetery mowings come in. I asked if he could hold them for a couple of weeks. He said, "I'll do better than that. I need room for a few more projects, so I'll deliver them within the next two weeks and you pay me whatever and whenever you can, as long as it's before the end of the year." And that's the way it was, June 2nd, 2004. ADDED: He delivered them today at noon, with a few surprises. The B-12 must have been through the mill, but seems to work great. Serial number plates on the sides from a "Rent It" center in Fargo, ND. On the dash is a serial number plate from the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks, ND.

One of the surprises was the rear axle on the B-12. First noticed that the right rear wheel was close to the rear end, while the left rear wheel was much farther away. I then saw that the differential is on the LEFT side, and the axle tube has been welded near the differential.

On the right side, the axle tube has been broken. ]

The seller explained that when he purchased the tractor, he was told by the original owner that he had altered it in this manner to cover the wheel tracks for the 32" tiller. The seller has been using it this way for seven years, without any problem. Looks like a strange solution to me. One other thing that the seller failed to mention, REALLY made the entire day worthwhile. Here it is.

Now I can finally put the hi-low on my restored B-12.:D:D:D:D:D

if getting outbid turns out like this. I would like it to happen all the time. Sounds like you got a SWEET DEAL.

And to think I have a cousin who wants to sell me a basketcase B-10 with horrible rust for $400 (Trust me, tractor hunters, this one isn't worth pursuing and he won't negotiate). You got a great deal, Pat.

Great Deal there Pat, I have an extra stall I could store 1 of those in. I would even change the axle tube for ya NO charge of course.

Nice find Pat! Looks like a very good deal to me. That B-12 looks like an interesting modification. That tractor would probably have an interesting story to tell.