Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Leaking Petcock (Gas)

I searched the forums for "Leaking Petcock" before posting this. Unless I have the spelling wrong... sorry. Is the Petcock for the gas tank still available or can it easily be repaired? I have one which leaks down the shaft it seams. Is there a way to tighten this like a water valve? Any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

A non-Simplicity dealer here charged me $10.27 for a petcock and 2 feet of fuel line for my B-110. Prices do vary from dealer to dealer.

Since we are on the subject of gas. On my 725 the glass filter is starting to leak at the rubber gasket and the thing-a-ma-bob that you turn to shut off the fuel or open it to allow the fuel to flow is starting to leak. Has anyone here replaced the glass bowl unit with somthing else ? or is there a way to stop the thing-a-ma-bob from leaking,,,I would imagine I would be able to find a rubber washer to replace the one at the glass filter. Thnx Herm

You should be able to find a cork gasket for the fuel bowl at a good mower shop. Take the glass piece with you for the size. As for the shut off, tighten the packing nut and it might stop. They usually leak when partly open or closed. Full open and full closed don't usually leak.

Buy a roll of cork gasket material and make your own. This material can be used to make many of the gaskets on a B/S engine.

By the way, only the outside diameter of the gasket for the fuel bowl has to be close to correct. The center can be cut out to let the gas get through the screen. I wonder how many people forget to clean that screen when they have fuel problems. I do it as habit and forget to advise people about that here.

Nick: Just curious, but does your non-Simplicity shut off valve have a fine mesh filter which sticks up into the tank? Just recently, I bought two simplicity replacement shut off valves and they have the filter just like the originals. But they cost $12.87 each. (Part No. 156176) Of course, a filter can always be added in the gas line, but I like having things as they were originally.

quote:
Originally posted by LewS
Nick: Just curious, but does your non-Simplicity shut off valve have a fine mesh filter which sticks up into the tank? Just recently, I bought two simplicity replacement shut off valves and they have the filter just like the originals. But they cost $12.87 each. (Part No. 156176) Of course, a filter can always be added in the gas line, but I like having things as they were originally.
Yes, It did have the mesh screen. The only non original thing is the shut off. It's not around dial, but two tabs stick out to turn it. It works for me. [img]/club2/attach/NickStanchak/Petcock.jpg[/img]

Michael, Aftermarket fuel petcocks are available from Stens, Napa, and others. The last street price for them was about $5.00, but they are imports made of cast "pot" metal. The OEM Simplicity part may be made of the same material or sourced "offshore" as well. The original/vintage ones were made of steel. Tom(PK)

Nick: Regarding your new shut off valve being "non original", it looks just like the two simplicity valves I bought, and also just like four originals I have on B series tractors. I have never seen one with a round dial.

quote:
Originally posted by LewS
Nick: Regarding your new shut off valve being "non original", it looks just like the two simplicity valves I bought, and also just like four originals I have on B series tractors. I have never seen one with a round dial.
This one could have been changed from the original, as there was other non stock items done to it like the throttle cable was mounted on the side of the tractor.