Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

more hydrostat questions..

so tell me guys the whats better a hydrostat or a three speed in a 310d can youi guys tell me some of the pro and cons of both the hydrostat and the three speed thanks

i was tilling today with my B 10 it would be nice to have hydro for jobs like that and snow blowing

Al
Hydro can get the ground speed just where you want it and is smoother releasing and easier on the trans if you need to back up a lot - both GT version are pretty indestructable, hydro can be more costly to repair but has an edge on durability due to less manual gear movement. Hydro has a filter to maintain (usually) but cost is offset due to the belt not needing to be declutched, resulting in longer life.

dlcentral
I've got a '64 Landlord with a 3 spd. that has a broken ax. tube.Of course it took double weights and chains running in the mud log-skidding to break it!I personally broke one with a shuttle trans just mowing,what a sickning sound that is when they snap!. It dosen't really matter BUT I do agree the hydros will snap them easier because of the instant pressure direction change the ax.tube recieves in a hydro trans.Also remember the hydro in any tractor takes approx. 2 hp to run! dlc