Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
picacho red

Won't start!!

picacho red
Hey guys-- I have a 69 Sovereign 12 hp that was just bored out. Problem is-- it ran fine for a bit, but now I have no spark. I replaced the ign.switch-- no fix. I have juice to the switch, and it rolls over fine-- just won't start now. Any ideas?? Am I looking at a new coil/pickup? By the way, it is a points ign. Any help would be appreciated. Red

tanman722001
i would start with the point make sure there set right and not burnt.And make sure the wires are hooked up and not broken.Then if you still done have fire then i would check the coil to make sure it is set right and Might want to check the flyway key too.If thats all fine then i would get a coil.That my two cent worth.Tony

Salthart
First of all, you don't run "Juice" to the points on a briggs cast iron ( unless someone has changed it over to battery ignition or put a Kohler engine in it ) The Briggs engine is self supporting in that it makes the current for the ignition. To check the ignition of a briggs, the first thing to do is take the wire lose that goes from the key switch to the points. with it lose, spin the engine and see if you have spark. ( The key switch grounds this wire to kill the engine and switches have been known to go bad and ground all the time ) If this don't get you spark, remove the points cover and rotate the engine by hand until the points close. While they are closed, make sure they seat centered on each other and set flat. Now take a $1 bill and open the points by hand incert the bill between the points and let them close. Drag the bill out from between the points and look to see if there is a streak ( likely from oil )on the bill. If there is oil, see your Briggs dealer about a new seal for the points plunger. The money works well because it don't leave lint behind and is strong enough that it don't tear. If you do see oil on the bill, spin the engine again to see if you now have spark. If you still do not, replacing the points and condenser would be my next step.. Good luck !