Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Unidentified artifact found while tilling

Brent_Baumer

My 5 year old likes to look for "treasures" in the garden. He was following me while tilling tonight (at a safe distance of course) and found this thing:

He was very excited and made me stop tilling to show me and to tell him what is was. Trouble is, I have no idea. It looks like two pieces, one pinned through the other and is very rusty. Any ideas as to what this might be? Thanks. Oh- sorry if it doesn't belong in this forum. Not sure how to categorize this post. Brent

Oh, Thats a whatchamacallit. You know, a who's amajiggy, you know maybe a thingamajiggy ? Your guess is as good as mine.

Uhh ohh!! I know what it is - see anything familiar in this!!

Yep, there's Russians in your midst!!! :D

Looks part of a bridle...the bit and end ring...I used to make fun of horses, horse owners, and anythign associated with them...then I married a horse owner...

Could it be a wiggling pin for a wobbling shaft ? LOL Looks like some sort of nail puller or such to me..

Looks like a napkin holder downer,,,,doing a good job too i might add.........sorry i have no idea, maybe you could try the electolisis rust removel on it and see if there are any markings on it. the rust removel may be a fun project to do with your son ????

Thanks for all the ideas. Still not sure. I could almost go for the bit off a bridle but the ring would be awfully large if it were. Boney - If we electrolysized this thing there would be nothing left I'm afraid.

quote:
Originally posted by Brent_Baumer
Thanks for all the ideas. Still not sure. I could almost go for the bit off a bridle but the ring would be awfully large if it were. Boney - If we electrolysized this thing there would be nothing left I'm afraid.
It does look like part of a snaffle bit with a lead ring. It would be that large diameter also.

I was thinking billy jack that maybe it was for draft horses or something to do with logging......? I bet a schooled blacksmith would know. Maybe an amish or MENONITE person would know??????????????????????????? DougM

quote:
Originally posted by DougM
I was thinking billy jack that maybe it was for draft horses or something to do with logging......? I bet a schooled blacksmith would know. Maybe an amish or MENONITE person would know??????????????????????????? DougM
I've got a snaffle bit, same size as this appears to be, for standard horses in dad's tack room. Next time I'm there and have the digital from work I'll snap a pic. Doug, do you know and REAL Menonites who might frequent this site that could help us out?? BTW: I just got an alert about horses and tracking chips that I need to start a new thread on. I'll come back and link it here later. ADDED: here's the link - http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33916

quote:
Doug, do you know and REAL Menonites who might frequent this site that could help us out??
no, thats the thing about the internet, ya never know what or whos real. I bet your right on the snaffle bit Billy Jack. Although it looks like something that could be driven into a stump or piece of wood?????????? Man there must be a blacksmith in the ol clubhouse?

• 5 months later...
quote:
Originally posted by Brent_Baumer

Brent, I was buying my daughter some tack for Christmas, and she needed a snaffle bit with o-ring for a new headstall. I suddenly remembered this old post, and took a picture of the snaffle to compare. They make some that have an extra small loop for mecate reins, which could be what the extra piece jutting out off of the ring is. See what you think. [img]/club2/attach/Brent_Baumer/nail.jpg[/img]

This is close to what it would have if it took mecate style reins (which is similar to yours). My hand drawing isn't that great, but you'll get the idea.

Here they are superimposed:

Brent: Go to this site and click on 'contact us' on the left hand side. Send them an email with the photo attached. http://www.uiowa.edu/~osa/archaeologyli.htm They'll forward it to the appropriate person, or direct you to the right person.. You might want to retake the photo with a rule or tape measre along side it. It may be a while until you get a response because of xmas. Let us know what it is. --Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Brent, the Muncie StarPress newspaper has a "Whatzit" feature on Sunday that people send in things to be identified. Might be worth a shot.