Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
rs07

Question about Briggs Vanguards V-Twins

rs07
With all the recent chat about the Briggs / Simplicity Aquisition, there is talk about the possibility that all Simplicity Products will only have Briggs & Stratton engines in them. Do they make large horsepower V-Twins like a 27hp for the Legacy XL tractor?

Al
Hi, Simplicity is a very successful company. They are having a record year. If one can believe the info that has been dispersed, the things lean to the company continuing on as is. Keep in mind that Snapper was on the verge of bankrupcy and was losing their butt on the mass merchant stuff when Simplicity bought them. The first thing that happened was Jim Wier pulling Snapper out of Wal Mart. Next a number of turn around things were implemented and the company was getting well. Ferris has grown 10 times since Simplicity bought them and can't keep up with current production. There is no way to know what will happen, but some the employees have been led to believe that Briggs will use a hands off approach. This would make sense, because Simplicity and Sthil are the last holdouts that ONLY sell through servicing dealers. They are making money and are appealing to dealers that are tired of being screwed over. When you address the mass merchants, you have to cut and cheapen every year. Pretty soon your sales are way up and the bottom line is not proportionately better. There are plenty of players in the mass merchant wars, and this leaves a niche. If Briggs takes an active role in the Simplicity operation, they are them competing against their other customers. This could drive the other players to the other engine companies. If they leave it alone, and just take their .28 a share they say Simplicity will add to their profits this year, the rest of the industry should not be affected that much. I would still expect to see competitive engines used, though the new 31 hp Vangard 54 cu in could make some inroads. Remember it is physically larger and will likely appear in a vertical. With the exception of a couple of little shortcomings, the Vangard V twin has been a heck of an engine and is very competitive in quality with ANY engine on the market. My thoughts and they are free, value accordingly. Al Eden

steelwheels
don't get too hung up on hp,esp with gas prices.I would never buy anything over 18 for a garden tractor,just a waste of fuel(IMHO)[:0]it's all about gearing,and a good six speed with a 12 hp kohler will eat many 20+hp box "tractors" for lunch when 20 years old,not to mention 7hp machines outpulling them.I am a hydro guy now pretty much,with units from 12 to 18hp,no more,no less.my 16 vanguard twin will run quite a bit longer than my 18 kohler command doing the same work,but not enough to matter much-had a 20 onan that just ate gas,it's gone-anybody else checking fuel consumption lately?

AGCO918
I will take my 18 and 20 hp tractors anyday or the lower hp tractors.I have had 10 and 12 hp tractors all of them Ac but 1 and wouldnt want anything less than 18 hp to mow and roll my yard with.I dont think you get the mileage like you do on a car so what ever the price of gas, even though i dont like the $2.00 gas i will keep my larger tractors and do my work better for me with my 18 and 20 hp tractors. The lower hp tractors dont have enough power for me. I always felt like i didnt have enough tractor for rolling the yard and for mowing.Now that i have had my Agco918 for 5 yrs and have a Allis Chalmers 620 ,i am alot happy with my larger hp tractors when going up hills. Agco 918