Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Getting Frustrated...

Bunky

Well I have this 3410S that was runnign rough I used it for 1/2 a day the other day moving stone with the Bucket, I put it away for the day and the next day it won't even run, It will start the old way of holding the throttle shut... Now I have cleaned the tank, and Cleaned the carb, dipped it in Chem dip and the whole nine yards.. Now it will start and run at a steady pace but if you speed it up it smokes black and when it starts to clear out it stalls then you have to choke it again to start it.... Anyone have a ny suggestions????:(

Sorry i cant really help you, but i do have a suggestion:) It's time to remove the briggs and drop a Kohler in:p

quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
Sorry i cant really help you, but i do have a suggestion:) It's time to remove the briggs and drop a Kohler in:p
I think he wants it to make it run...not push it:D:D:p

I cleaned the fuel line when I took the tank off and cleaned it, I'm just lost at this point...

quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
quote:
[:0]:D:D:D:D:D

quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
quote:
:(!Thats why I told him to put a Kohler in;)

I've experience similar symptoms in the past and they were not all the same cause. Once it was the carb. Another time it was the points, and a third time it was a partially sheared flywheel key throwing the timing off.

If it wont start without holding the throttle closed then the choke is not working. Make sure it closes completely. If it's making black smoke then it's getting too much fuel. If you have a high speed jet adjustment just close it down a bit. if you have a fixed jet in the carb, make sure it is not loose. Also check float operation and level. All your problems sound like carb adjustments.

You've done just about everything to the fuel system.Now it's time to get into the ignition,as Sam suggested.Try new points,condenser,and plug.

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
I've experience similar symptoms in the past and they were not all the same cause. Once it was the carb. Another time it was the points, and a third time it was a partially sheared flywheel key throwing the timing off.
The sheared flywheel key was the worst to determine . I worked over the carb and points 3 times and the engine would always start and run at low RPM fine, but when you increased the speed it would start to sputter and cough and shoot out black smoke. Reduce speed and it would purr again. About the easiest way to test the sheared key theory is to hook the points up to a external coil setup like Kohler uses and try running it via battery ignition. If it runs fine in all speed ranges then you found the problem. First though I would inspect and re-gap the points and go from there.

In order to get black smoke the ignition has to working.Check the float for weight.Two months ago I fixed a tractor for a friend.It was driving me insane.Erractic as hell,black smoke,loading up.I had that carb apart six times till I noticed what appeared to be a microscopic line in the float(slight exaggeration).Sure enough the float was porous and had very small amount of gas in it.Just enough to allow it to drop and stay dropped after a short time of running.

Consider the carb adjustment again. Black smoke at idle- idle mix too rich. Cuts out when throttle opens up-main mix too lean. Might not be it, but sometimes the most simple things are overlooked.

quote:
quote:
The sheared flywheel key was the worst to determine . I worked over the carb and points 3 times and the engine would always start and run at low RPM fine, but when you increased the speed it would start to sputter and cough and shoot out black smoke. Reduce speed and it would purr again. About the easiest way to test the sheared key theory is to hook the points up to a external coil setup like Kohler uses and try running it via battery ignition. If it runs fine in all speed ranges then you found the problem. First though I would inspect and re-gap the points and go from there.
Sounds like what my model 19 in the 725 was doing, I never had the engine out, but i should have checked for a sheared flywheel key.

Well I put a new float in the Carb a year or so ago when I bought the tractor, it seems fine I checked that all out for leaks and to see if it floated all looks good, As Far as the choke It appears to be closing but I will have to check it.. I have changed the Settings on the adjustment screws but it doesn't really make much difference... Does anyone know the float settings for the Carb?? I just did the level when upside down.. I think later I will swap carbs with a 13hp I have hear and see what that does....

If you have had the carb off and apart did you replace the gaskets? Bad gaskets will cause your symtoms. This includes the carb base to engine gasket. Also the head gasket depending on where it is leaking will cause those symptoms.

I think that engine uses 3 base gaskets,one from carb to intake,one from intake to engine shroud,and one from shroud to block.It's a bear to keep them all lined up,especially on the block end.I removed the original bolts in the block,and used studs instead.

Koehler's have the same problems. If you want a visit from Murphy it is guaranteed if you reuse gaskets.

You just had to go and mention Murphy.......... His ears will be ringing now... I think I'll stay out of the shop for a few days till he finds one of you other guys to go and visit

I dont have these problems with Kohlers, Only one carb to block gasket, reused every carb switch, never leaks, never effects the motor in any way. The only thing that happens to the motors is dirt in the carb, and clean it out and they go. No worrying about 3 gaskets on a briggs, no hard to get to bolts either. If these symptoms happen to a kohler, I clean the carb, throw it back together and it runs A-OK.

quote:
I dont have these problems with Kohlers, Only one carb to block gasket, reused every carb switch, never leaks, never effects the motor in any way. The only thing that happens to the motors is dirt in the carb, and clean it out and they go. No worrying about 3 gaskets on a briggs, no hard to get to bolts either. If these symptoms happen to a kohler, I clean the carb, throw it back together and it runs A-OK.
This is TOO funny in one post you say you don't have any problems with your Kohlers but in another post you also stated this.. Which is it? [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33306[/url]
quote:
WHen i first got my 912H, it cut way too high, it was simple to fix, and now cuts nice. It also has a 14hP engine in it now, and it seems to bog down too. Also makes a hard metal knock sound in long grass when its working. I'm pretty sure the governor is not working. I'd check and adjust that, then try it again. I cant get mine to work no matter what. Reverse is alot slower, so I could see it easily working then. I'd try the governor first.

quote:
If you don't have any problems with your Kohlers you probably won't be needing any more advise on them will you....;)

Other than the governors, No, I wont need any advice on kohlers, theyre simple engines and i wont need help with them unless I mess something up. Only have this governor problem on the one, and i'm pretty sure somehting inside is messed up.