Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Thanks and seeking more info.

pops_n_scratches

A while back I posted a plea for a used engine for my 728 Broadmoor. Thanks to everyone who responded. Especially thanks to Weaver's Equipment in Shelby Ohio for a good used 8hp Briggs. Now, for a little more information. My old engine had the large generator/starter. The new one has the small starter and internal alternator. Any advice in rewiring for the new configuration?

There is a red and white harness coming out of the new motor.Red wire to the ammeter gauge or direct to the battery side of the starter solenoid.The white wire is for lights.If your headlights work through the key switch it goes to the light terminal of the switch if you have a seperate switch for the headlights that works with the tractor not running forget about the white wire.If you going from a starter generator to a starter you will have to install a solenoid if you don't have one already.

Like Patrician12 said for the charging side - just connect the red wire to the wire on your old voltage regulator that goes to the ammeter. (You won't be using the old voltage regulator any more). For the starting side 'tho, you can just connect the same 'battery' cable to the new starter, if you are going to still use the push button starter switch. The push button starter switch is really a mechanical version of a solenoid. So - new wiring for charging should be 1) red starter wire to ammeter '+' terminal 2)ammeter '-' terminal to battery + terminal. And for starting 1) starter to starter switch 2) starter switch to battery '+'. Someone posted diagrams for this before, you might want to try searching the archives.

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure what to do about the regulator. Your advice was spot on. Tossing the regulator aside, I wired per your instruction, and the mower is running great. This is a terrific forum. Well, I'd better get out and cut the lawn!