Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
andyketch

Simplicity 725 trans

andyketch
My son and I are trying to rebuild a Simplicity 725 engine running and are stripping it to repaint my question is the transmission its a 3 speed with reverse when you put it in gear it grinds cant find a book yet is this normal any advice on getting manuals or parts would be a big help this is our first project thsnks.it will go in gear and the axels turn

clyde
There are others who are experts on the 725 (not me!), but it looks like the 725 is a model 990271 or 990272. You should be able to use that in the links. Also there is a TON of info at simpletractors.com - spend some time on the links on the left side of the ome page - for instance: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1962/s_725.htm[/url] Good luck!

clyde
Maynard, is there a difference between 'catalog numbers' and 'mfg numbers'? I got the 990271 and 990272 numbers from here: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/X-reference/ac_s_pg1.htm[/url] I think 990169 thru 990272 returns the same manuals anyway - but I just didn't want to suggest the wrong numbers!

Al
Hi, If the transmission is grinding, I would suspect the belt is dragging. Usually thes is caused by belt guides or linkage. Another thing can be if someone has ever sprayed beot dressiing on the belt or pulley. I don't remember on the 725, but on the landlords there is a belt guard that surrounds 1/2 of the front pulley. This guard is critical, it keeps the front of the abelt from dragging in the pulley and causing the belt to "coast". My 2 cents worth, its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

HubbardRA
I have a 61 WARDS (Simp 725). The front pulley guard must be nearly touching the belt, 1/8 inch away, when belt is tight. The clutch must also be fully released. I had to loosen the brake on mine to get the belt to fully disengage, and it still "crunches" sometimes. Also, If you are using a belt other than a Simplicity belt, it may be too stiff and not flexing enough to release. I use the "green" commercial Gates belts, and they have this problem. There are also two different mounting holes on the clutch arm for mounting the tension idler. You might try moving it to the other hole, then re-adjusting the clutch. There should be 1/4 to 3/8 inch free-play on the clutch rod with foot off the pedal.