Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 725 trans

andyketch

My son and I are trying to rebuild a Simplicity 725 engine running and are stripping it to repaint my question is the transmission its a 3 speed with reverse when you put it in gear it grinds cant find a book yet is this normal any advice on getting manuals or parts would be a big help this is our first project thsnks.it will go in gear and the axels turn

:DAndy, Welcome aboard!! WOW!! your close! ;)Maynard has a thing he will post, that will get you to all the manuals you will need. You'll find a great bunch of helpfull folks in here.

If it grinds the belt to the input pulley must be still turning with the clutch pedal engaged.Before you go nuts loosen the belt.

Welcome, sounds like a great father son project. The instructions for the link to the manuals is at the top of this forum.

WOW you guys are quick to reply thanks Call me stupid (the links for manuals are at the top of the page) I cant find anything for a 1953 725 can anyone guide me thanks andy

OK i found the link so you dont have to call me stupid Did the 725 also have a series name thanks Andy

There are others who are experts on the 725 (not me!), but it looks like the 725 is a model 990271 or 990272. You should be able to use that in the links. Also there is a TON of info at simpletractors.com - spend some time on the links on the left side of the ome page - for instance: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1962/s_725.htm[/url] Good luck!

Simplicity 725 was not made in 1953 The simplicity 700 was made in 1959 - 1960 the Simplicity 725 was made in 1961 - 1962 - 1963

Maynard, is there a difference between 'catalog numbers' and 'mfg numbers'? I got the 990271 and 990272 numbers from here: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/X-reference/ac_s_pg1.htm[/url] I think 990169 thru 990272 returns the same manuals anyway - but I just didn't want to suggest the wrong numbers!

Same number. Most often called MFG# now. The 700 & 725 are in the same owners and parts manuals. Both are included in the large frame repair manual.

Hi, If the transmission is grinding, I would suspect the belt is dragging. Usually thes is caused by belt guides or linkage. Another thing can be if someone has ever sprayed beot dressiing on the belt or pulley. I don't remember on the 725, but on the landlords there is a belt guard that surrounds 1/2 of the front pulley. This guard is critical, it keeps the front of the abelt from dragging in the pulley and causing the belt to "coast". My 2 cents worth, its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

I have a 61 WARDS (Simp 725). The front pulley guard must be nearly touching the belt, 1/8 inch away, when belt is tight. The clutch must also be fully released. I had to loosen the brake on mine to get the belt to fully disengage, and it still "crunches" sometimes. Also, If you are using a belt other than a Simplicity belt, it may be too stiff and not flexing enough to release. I use the "green" commercial Gates belts, and they have this problem. There are also two different mounting holes on the clutch arm for mounting the tension idler. You might try moving it to the other hole, then re-adjusting the clutch. There should be 1/4 to 3/8 inch free-play on the clutch rod with foot off the pedal.
  • Like 1