Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Farmall Cub...anyone???

AC808

Anyone here ever work on or have interest in any of the Farmall Cubs? I found that the price seems to be right...I know I SHUOULD pick it up 'cause it can always be traded for something orange or yellow, it might even be fun to just have around...Any opinions? Ill keep you all posted of further developments!

Just bring it with you on your next trip south,Jay. We'll work something out....;)

Jay the Farmall Cub,Cub Lo-boy, A,SuperA, etc are in high demand in our area. They bring anywhere from $1800 way on up according to condition and year. Of course the round hood models from 1947 to the 50's are much sought after by collectors but the later square hoods bring top dollar as "estate mowers". As a trivia note, the Cub and Cub Lo-boys ran 13hp or so. Hope this helps Jay!

IMOP, a whole lot of tractor that can't do much. Don't have enough power to turn it's wheels if you load it up. I can do more with my 620 w/ hydro than you could ever do with a cub.

I had one for years and really liked it for small jobs,running fence and the like-go all day on a tank of gas.not very comfortable or convenient to use,but fun to play with.

Daddy ran our 19 acre farm with a Farmall Cub. It out performed our neighbor's John Deer and did everything he needed it to do. Course this was in 1949 through 1952. I learned to drive on the Cub. I think it was $1,111.11 out the door with the disk plow, sickle bar mower, cultivators, front and rear wheel weights, and a tandum disk harrow. Don't remember what other equipment he had besides a hay wagon. I would like to have one just for memories if nothing else. My experience,

A local hospital had one with a Mott HammerMower, it sold for $625 before I knew about it. :)

I second that sickle bar,not to mention lots of other attachments you can get for that unit.

Good grief! Them ol farmall cubs (sorry Sim. fans) I have to say are better than simplicity's! KohlerMan

You are comparing oranges to pumpkins they are not even in the same class. An 8hp Simplicity can not compare to the 8hp Farmall Cub. Anyone that grew up on a farm and used one knows what I am saying. Simplicity's are easy to work on but not as easy as working on a Cub. Put a set of oversize tires (900 x 15)on front and a set of wheel lags from a ford 8n on the rear of a Cub and about the only place it couldn't go was across a pond. I have been on one where a team of horses could not go. But a team of horses could swim a pond. It was the only tractor most small farmers had. There were more attachments for it than for the small fords. It had hydraulics that worked front mid and rear of tractor. Large farmers also liked it because it could get into areas the bigger tractors couldn't. It was great for mowing fence line and road side. It could mow on wet land as it was light and didn't sink in. On the farm I grew up on one 30 acre field today about 5 acres of it are not used as the big tractors sink out of site. It had 2 way plows you could plow both directions with. In days gone by farmers used every inch of their land they could. But on the other hand My simplicity and Allis Chalmers garden tractors are more versatile in some ways and Can and do work that could not be done with the Cub.

Yes sir Maynard. They filled that niche on our farms also. They bring back great memories of both grandads (and alot of fun that was called work by the grownups). Jay, I think everyone should own one once in their life. If you don't like it, you won't have a problem re-selling it.

Well...the offer of 'just haul it outta here...", has been replaced with 'let me talk to my husband...' now to wait and see how much it will be...

quote:
Well...the offer of 'just haul it outta here...", has been replaced with 'let me talk to my husband...' now to wait and see how much it will be...
I hate when that happens.....

well,speak of the devil}:),I have one for sale just down the road right now.spray painted over everthing and looks like oil leaking all over,$800 might get him down to 6? looks like another project I don't have time for,guess I will make an offer:D

I beg to differ about cub power,as I mow a few acre field for my neighbor with my 60 inch belly mount Woods rotary mower,on my '57 lo-wboy.I dont do it till it gets a foot tall.The worn out motor does just fine on it of course I have to use 1st gear,,another hi-boycub we have will mow 5 foot tall hay in 2nd gear,taking a 5 foot swath.,