Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Latest find and its a keeper

Chris727

I know its not a Simplicity but I'm gonna have to keep this one. I got a call about it thursday, went and picked it up Saturday. The owner said he had an MF12 that had thrown a rod and had sat in his yard for five years, if I wanted it I just had to come and get it. I happen to have an MF12 and was looking for parts for it. When I got there I was pleasantly surprised to find an MF16. This thing is built really heavy. It has a 48 inch deck, the housing and arbors look much like the deck on my AC 416H only with no rollerbar. The tractor has good tires, I was in great shape, I couldn't believe it had sat out for five years. It has hydraulic lift and a dual range hydrostatic transmission. That is the good. Now heres the bad. The 16 HP kohler has a hole in the block on the flywheel side. I have an M16 Kohler block I might use on it, but I don't know for sure.

It looks like a 3 point was available, I guess category zero.

The seat is still good, and the red paint is original and was a little faded. Some wax fixed that. Anyone else have one of these tractors?

Nice find. Looks like quite a workhorse. It looks to be in very nice shape. With a different engine you would have a good rig for yourself. I had a mf 12 and it sure took it's share of abuse and served me well for 5 years. Good luck with your new tractor!

Chris I agree, that is a keeper. If it had a seat with armrests and a stack exhaust it would be a ringer for our MF 150. By the way,all the MF garden tractors I've seen had Tecumseh HH engines in them,of course they were 8-12hp. I guess they used Kohler for the bigger tractors. Imagine what a Cast iron Briggs big single would do in there.

Like Larry siad, most I've heard of used those wonderful (not) indian engines. To think this one has something you can still get parts for and have something sound when you get done is a real winer all the way around. Nice catch, Dave.

I agree, looks like it could be a workhorse. That deck looks almost exactly the same as the ones used on the 300's and 400's. That seat also looks like its good, i've seen it in the Northern catalouge, about $60. I have one too, and theyre quite comfortable. Sure was a good deal!

I was thinking that I may take rollerbar from my 416H deck and mount it on this deck if it will clear the rear wheels. Now I'm going to make some calls and see if I can find a 16 Kohler. I have 3 other masseys, 2 MF7's and one MF12 hydro. The 7's are missing their engines, and the 12 has a bad rod. Even the ones with tecumsehs were very heavy duty as far as the construction of the frame,etc. I think Rockon once said Sears suburbans were a close second to AC/Simplicity but I think these Masseys are a closer second than anything else.. The MF7 through 12 had full rollers on the deck. There not too bad to work on either.

Jay, I'm not sure what was available for the 14 and 16 type Masseys but I now the smaller ones like my MF12 were available with tillers, blades, snowblowers and brinly hitches, maybe snow cabs and carts too. I know the were also available with electric or hydrauilc lift and I think I saw one with a Johnson loader too.