Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dratkinson

Can I build a Gator blade?

dratkinson
All, I have been wanting to try a Gator blade but am not able to find the size I need (single blade, 26", counter-clockwise rotation) for my B-206. I've tried emails to mowproducts and they say this is a dealer item...don't think there is enough demand for this to be a dealer-stocked item. So I was wondering if I could build one. You know, get a larger Gator blade (I think I saw a 30" counter-clockwise rotating blade for a Snapper), cut it down and weld it up to the size I need. Or maybe I could take two shorter blades and make one larger blade Would a butt joint work or would a lap joint be better? How about drilling a hole (or multiple) in the lap and then also welding in a solid plug there also? What about any required heat treatment afterwards? Could I do this with a hand-held propane torch? What would I need to do to ensure the new blade was as close to original as possible? Could I do the welding with a 100A homeowner's stick welder, or do I need to visit my welder friend and his MIG unit to keep the voids down? I realize I need to check the final product for balance, but is there anything else I'm overlooking? /r David

D-17_Dave
There's a lot of thought goes into a blade. Setting up the demitions, angles, centering the wholes. Most of whitch is done with only on or two punch processes. I would never say you couldn't do it but I'm sure to get it centered and balanced would be difficult at best. Not to mention the liability involved if something came loose. I would never weld on a blade or try to add length too it. If it came apart it would be like setting off a grenade under the deck.