Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Saved one from the scrap yard..

Salthart

Found a Jacobsen Chief at the scrap yard last week and started checking it out over the week-end. This was pretty much the complete tractor minus the wheels and the seat. Once I started on it I had an old Toro that donated wheels/tires so I could move it around. Once I got it in the shop I had to replace the points and once that was done I found it had carb trouble ( 12 hp S/G start cast iron Kohler ) . I removed the carb and in all my years working on small engines I have never seen one this bad. The float bowl had a layer of sand in the bottom so deep that the float could not drop ! Had to destroy the main jet to remove it and soon after I just found another carb for it. Runs like new ! Not the first sign of smoke etc... Transaxle seems to be ok and the voltage regulator is brand new.. LOL there is even a brand new SW amp meter on it ! Best I can tell it was made in or about 1965. No, its not a Simplicity, But there is a lot of life left in this old girl and I'm very happy to have it here and running rather than waiting to be melted down..

Nice Find, Marty:D:D8D I like to hear people are fixing up old tractors and using them. Good job.8D How about posting some pictures? Bill8D

Yes very good job Marty. It's always good to save one. Pictures are a great idea share it with us.

I'll have to see what I can do about getting a digital camera...Thanks for the replys

I still think its amazing what other people throw away for the lack of knowledge....

Speaking of Jacobsens, does anyone have an interest in a Jacobsen 72" 3-gang reel mower? I gather these things were used mostly on golf courses. It has a 14 hp Kohler, with hydro drive. It ran good a couple of years ago, but it's been sitting in the barn ever since. I even have the operator manual. I've thought about robbing the motor and hydro from it and junking the rest, but I really hate to. My yard just isn't smooth and level enough for something like this. I'd be willing to sell or trade it for something interesting.

I'd love to have it.. What would you need for it in cash or trade ? And how far is it from Lexington Ky ? ( I have family there )

I'm in Indiana, about halfway between Indianapolis and South Bend. As far as what I need for it, make an offer or might do some kinda trade on a tractor. I traded a pretty nice B210 for it. Even had the original arm rest-style seat in decent shape. In hindsight, I should have kept the B210. I had more use for it than I have for this, but I was trying to help out a friend. I really miss it sometimes, along with my old Sovereign hydro.... Both were real nice machines, especially the Sovereign with that 48" deck.

Salthart just a little info on digital cams. I took this pic yesterday with a 19.95 $ spy cam from Walmart. This pic has been crunched to fit the format but full sixed pics are excillant. holds 140 pics takes 3 minute vidios 180 deg. pics, all kinds of stuff. You can't go wrong for 20 bucks.

There's a Jacobsen Chief sitting in my sister in laws garage. I believe there's a mower deck,snowblower,and tiller with it. However,it belongs to her brother,who will never do anything with it,and won't sell it,unless he can make a ton of money on it. At least it's inside.