Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Muffler ? Again

KSever

Looking at this round muffler on my Landlord got me to thinking.[:0] Has anyone ever tried putting steelwool inside one of these mufflers to quiet down the exhaust? Or is it going to be too much back pressure on the engine? Somewhere I seem to recall I saw this done but I can't remember the results or downfalls. [img]http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Graphics/engineparts/105171.jpg[/img]

Hey Kris, Yes I have tried the steel-wool in a muffler to try and quiet it down. It did quiet it down... nothing significant tho. The steelwool did burn up after a few hours of use (cutting grass). Not a bad idea. Ryan

Kris there isn't a can that small that will afford you any noteworthy silencing. You need a chambered device that takes those exhaust explosions, busts them up in a bazillion ways to get it to come out of the outlet as a whosh. I have got one of those. It's a Kohler P/N 278274, 16" long 5" in diameter, about 12 pounds, side inlet 1-1/4" and offset end outlet 1-1/2" . It has a sound deading shell (wrapped)to minimize the tin canning sound of exhaut pulsations and has a price of about $150.00 if you are lucky. I can almost guarantee that the mower deck will be more noticeable then the engine at speed and work. If you know any at Nelson in Stoughton, I think they make it. On certain engine/tractor combinations Simplicity has done a good job of reducing exhaut noise, the 5000 series Broadmoor with the 11 HP engine , the Broamoor II series again with the 11HP engine and the 7116 with Briggs engine. I happen to have a 7116 and amazed how quiet it is when pulling, mowing grass. I have tried to say it more then once, exhaust silencing is an art. It has to do with exhaust flow, exhaust temperature at that flow and how much much exhaust back pressure this certain engine can handle. My advice is to get the $50 screw on muffler that was popular back then.

Mechanics wire has been suggested. Roll it up and put it into the pipe. I haven't tried it but I was recommended here.

Mechanics wire I beleive is better known as bailing wire. I really doubt it will help much. The basic principles in a muffler is to use the reflected sound waves from inside the canister to cancel the incoming soundwaves. Usually this requires a larger area and multiple chambers.

I have tryed mettal screen. Just make sure you dont grab the alluminum screen. I dont think it will last long at all. I just rolled it up and poped it in. It seemed to help but not as much as I was hoping. Elon

Just puting an elbow in the pipe and ponting the outlet to the front and the ground may help the percived noise level. I have gone Ebay and club member to get the nelson made stock soup can muffler for the B10 and the B110. The outlet when put on right points down and to the front. What you hear in the seat does not seem as loud as before with the chew can style straight out.

My error on the mechanics wire. What I meant was the woven wire screening that might have the 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch spacing. Roll some up and put it into the pipe.

The steel wool will burn up after a while of hot running, but it never seemed to make to much back pressure though. KohlerMan

HE HE! I just put some rolled up screen in my 64 LL with the stack muffler. Frist I got shower with little metal bits. When that stoped, I reved the engine up and stood back. After a few minutes I didn't feel any metal bits again. So I gave the engine a few quick reves and pow! Half the screen came shooting out. I swear it flew about 8 to 10 feet in the air. It took me about 5 minutes to stop laughing! The good news is that it is a bit more quiet. Elon

Was that regular screening or wire mesh? I wonder if nylon would work? (just kidding) Easiest way to quiet the muffler.

And you don't have to listen to the oohs and aahs of spectators.

I am glad this topic came up. I was going to replace the muffler on my new(old) B10. It didn't look that bad but the thing is so loud i thought the muffler was gone. Maybe the muffler is OK.

[quote]Originally posted by Agricola
Was that regular screening or wire mesh? I got regular screen from Walleymart.

when the can muffler goes i buy the round one and a elbow and a piece of pipe and just let make the sound that it does.i sort of like the sound that it's makes. JJ

It's all about dissipating energy. Mufflers with a larger (to a point) internal volume and proper baffling will work much better than smaller ones.

We had some obsolete left over mufflers in my shop.I once put on a muffler from a old Ford fiesta.The first one,the one made in Europe.The inlet and outlet pipe was an 1 1/2 diameter,maybe 16" long and 6"diameter.It was really quiet but I felt the weight difference was a big strain on the head threads and was hard to get a 90 degree bend on the adjoining pipe even with a bender.So I put the old one back on.The standard muffler is much noisier and impossible to hear my wife when she calls me.Should I take off the muffler all together?

I did some creative plumbing and put a Cub Cadet muffler on my AC712S. Exits at the same place through the hole in the side of the hood/grille. Quieter than the type you show above, but still louder than I like.

To me, louder is better, but I guess that's the redneck in me coming out. The Wizard I used to have actually blew the packing and the outer cover off its muffler last fall, so all it had was a pipe with the inner half of the muffler left. It amplified the engine's noise. To me, it was sweet music. I don't take any mufflers completely off because that will burn the valves.