Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B110 Axle Drive Problem, begging for help...

buckeye_in_wy

I have had this problem since I installed a new transmission. What happens is that after a couple laps around the lawn mowing the right drive differential moves inboard towards the transmission. When this happens the planetary gears no longer engage the drive gears. This results in a long push back to the garage. I have taken the planetary apart and double, triple checked the installation, and it is in accordance with the book. As you can see in the first picture this is how it begins, the planetary is about 3/4" from the snap ring.

After running a very short time the planetary 'walks' inboard from the movement of the shaft/wheel.

Once this happens there is now power output to the right wheel. The wheel hub and gear dislodge from the planetary assembly, thus no geat contact between the planetary and right wheel hub. I have checked the outer right axle collar and there is no movement.

Also I have checked the left axle collar and it is tight as is the left hub. I am at my wits end, pushing a mower around two acres is insane. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

is the collar on the left hand (oppisite side secure)if not this would allow it to move to the right the way it looks and sounds according to the manaul for my b-10 I think it would be about the same for the B-110. try looking a the Simolicity Tech publication (Service manaul)for the B-110

If I am understanding you correctly, the tractor drives only when the planetary is 3/4" AWAY from the snap ring? Pat

Look to the lock collar on the OTHER side of the axle. Its just like the one on this side outside the hub but it keeps the inner axle from moving to the right. When you have you differential set correctly, look at the spacing on the collar on the left side of the transaxle. Place the collar against the outter axle and tighten the set screws.. Hope this helps. Good luck

The following was posted by HubbardRA in response to another users similar problem (Thread on pg2 started by Bonaro "There are two collars on the axle that goes from the left side all the way through the right hub. Usually the type of problem that you describe is caused by not having these collars slid up tight against the moving parts. When you have assembled the new parts. Jack up the left wheel. Pull it hard to the left. While you have the load on it, slide the left side collar tightly against the tube on the left side and tighten the set screws. There should be no side to side motion in the axle. If there is motion, this will allow the right side hub gear to slide out of the planetary gears, which will break the corners off the gears."

Had the same problem when i installed new oil seals on my b112. The inner axle slid far enough to the right that it allowed the hy-pro keys to come out of the inner gear. After that it was long push back. I solved it by taking the differential apart again and moving the inner axle back to where it should have been. I then tightened the left shaft collar down by hand wrench. I then got a pipe wrench and gave the screws another quarter turn. The left axle has holes where the set screws go in to the axle. I then put the left wheel back on and jacked up the right side of the tractor. That way the weight of the tractor kept the inner axle in place. When putting the differntial back together the inner hub for the differential goes over the snap ring. There is a groove in the back of the hub it fits into. When the snap ring is in the groove it's positioned correctly. You then put the gears back in and turn/tap until it's all together. The collar on the right side is tightened the same way. Hand tight then 1/4 turn. The set screws are harder than the shaft and "bite" into it. Hope this helps, Don

I am currently finishing up a diff job on my b10 & i've decided to "stack" a seies of washers as spacers on the left side axle between the collar & the wheel flange to help prevent any sideways travel.

Jon, The flange that you are showing should be in contact with the snap ring when correctly assembled. I would suggest that you raise both rear wheels off the ground and then tap on the axle at the right hub till the flange contacts the snap ring. I think that then you will find the clearance on the left side of the tranny that I have been talking about. If you do, then loosen the set screws in the collar and slide it against the left side tube to remove the clearance.