Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

728 trans

dads707

I broke the trans side plate (I had ag tires, no fluid) on my 728. Put the ags and the deck on a 5008, mowed 3 times and messed up the drive pulley (the big one). Tore the keyway out of it. I am not hard on my mowers, don't pop wheelies or dump the clutch. Am now mowing with the 707, NO ag tires...

Guy at my local parts place said he had one from a Yeoman (648?) that would fit. I pulled this one off so I could make sure. Anyone else had trouble with the added traction breaking stuff??

These side plates do break easily - I have seen MANY of them broken. Whenever I re-build or simply get a chance, I have some re-enforcement welded on. Tom

I think you have something else wrong, loose connections, something out of alignment. The Ag tires are not the reason.

I don't know this for a fact, but it is my belief that a major reason for the side plates breaking loose is that the center pivot has not received the regular maintenance that it should. When the center pivot starts to freeze or bind something else has to give. Probably someone neglected to grease the pivot regularly.

I agree with Greg...I have a 728 that I work hard...real hard for a small frame tractor...I have read on the forums several times that the trans plates break when the pivot is not greased properly..

The one pictured was free. I just put a jack in the midpoint of the tractor, snugged it up tight to the belly, unbolted the rear and pulled it out.

The pivot on my 738 is free and works like a charm now...formerly frozen. Unless you've owned the tractor since new, who knows the treatment it may have had in the last thirty some years.

I've had the 728 about 12 years now. It would almost scare you the way it would pivot. The 5008 is a different story. It needs some work on it to free the pivot. Now is a good time to do it. Tom, where to you reinforce the side plates?? I will have this one fixed and use it for a spare.

To reinforce, simply weld on some extra steel (angled stock is strongest) in places where it will not interfere. You can clearly see the best locations only when the side plate is installed on the tractor. I have had small angle steel strips welded along the top and bottom - right where the crack is visible on the photo above. I also weld the crack and then weld flat plate over the opposite surface. Tom