Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

716H Cone Clutch slipping bad - how much lining?

Brent_Baumer

Wife was mowing Sat. when the 716H quit turning the blades. Hmmmmm. Belt still on and intact. Engaged PTO. PTO pulleys on the BGB don't move. Not good. Remove belt and try again. Pulleys turn when engaging the PTO. PTO clutch plate VERY hot. Burning smell. Removed plate today. Lots of clutch plate liner dust. Only about 1/32" of liner left after wiping and blowing out the dust. Question - How thick should this liner be? If it is supposed to be 1/16"-1/8"? new from factory will replacing just the plate with new fix my problem? Thanks, Brent

Oh - BTW - The large frame repair manual says the PTO pulleys should only move 1/8" from disengaged to engaged. With the clutch plate installed these move at least a 1/4" (didn't measure, could easily eyeball it to be more than 1/8"). Assuming the travel had never been adjusted, this leads me to believe the plate linershould be MUCH thicker than 1/32". Brent

Brent, If no one replies today with the new clutch thickness, when I get home I'll measure my spare one and send you the thickness. GregB

Brent, You might want to check out this old post. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=17349&SearchTerms=leather,clutch[/url]

Brent, Your symptoms are very familiar. I finished off 2 PTO clutch friction cups this spring and have been investigating relining them. While the one I last robbed for replacement use was relatively unused, it had no more than 1/8" of lining material. I first got a sheet of 1/8" friction material from McMaster-Carr, but I don't believe it is flexible enough to bend using a single strip in the cup. I then ordered a strip of 3/16" (the thinnest availabele) flexible material, but it looks too thick. I haven't really had time to experiment much (and no immediate need since I have a working unit for mowing). Maybe someone can suggest another source for the clutch lining material.

Stan, not against rigging things in a pinch myself, but I have 3 other tractors with decks on them right now to mow with so I think I'll just spend the $60 or so for a new clutch plate. Just wanting to make sure that is my problem before I spend the $. If the liner is only supposed to be 1/16" then I have more problems than just a worn liner. Tried to take off the plate off another tractor to compare but it would not come off easily. Beat on it a little with not success then decided to make this post. Brent

Brent, Just came in from the pole barn where I had the spare Cone clutch Assy stored. The cone lining of my used spare clutch measured .105" thick. The two friction pads on the ring attached to the yoke that puts the clutch in or out measures .120". I had to take out 4 socket head cap screws to measure this thickness. If these two pads were gone that would give you the additional travel you mentioned. Let us know what you end up finding, I have not had to do much repair on my AC716-6 and I hope to be soon mowing with my AC718, so I might have to deal with this in the near future. GregB

Brent, Make sure that while you have it apart, you check the spring on the back side. I had the same problem last year, put 2 used plates on, then finally bought a new one, still didn't last. Finally tore it all apart pulled the pulleys off and the spring was broke inside where I could not see it. Used spring works great. This caused extra travel also. Just a thought while you have it apart.