Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

pics of gilson

dads707

This is the gilson I got. I'm using the small Vivitar digital, and it seems like the pics are blurry..

I tried to sneak one of my 2012 in here, but the file on it is too large. Same camera, used Mihov to resize them all at the same time. Go figure...

I took the covers off the engine, and cleaned out tons of stuff. I put a battery on it to raise the deck (the electic lift works good), and tried to turn it over. It clicked but would not turn the motor. I know it is a good battery, so I guess either the solonoid or the starter is bad. Leaving for the beach in the morning so I don' have time to fool with it right now. The man I got it from said the ags were tearing his yard up, but if you can see it's supposed to have rollers on the outside of the deck, and they are missing...

Twin 16 hp Briggs. I know the starter is under there somewhere... Also the right ag is on backwards.. Just noticed it...

I have 2 Gilsons.One is YT16HE and an old 16 hp single cylinder that I can't even tell you the model number.Both are very well made machines.Some things are over kill.I hope your model isn't like my YT16HE.I got it because it wouldn't start just like yours.Get a piece of wire and jump the small terminal of the solenoid to the positive of the battery and I'll bet it starts.The wiring harness and safety switches are an overkill.Before you say solenoid or starter there are TWO relays and THREE micro-switches that can all stop it from starting.I wound up completely rewiring the tractor from scratch.A new stens ignition switch ,lots of wire , connectors and an afternoon.One last thought there was also a thermal switch in the shrouding to shut the engine off if it got too hot.Engineering overkill.

Starter is on the back side from the carb/exhaust. To get it off remove the blower housing. Pat, If he hears a click, The solenoid is engaging so its not a safety switch IMO. He can take an old screw driver etc and short between the cables on the solenoid. If it tries to start, replace the solenoid. If not remove and check the starter.

quote:
Originally posted by patrician12
...One is YT16HE and an old 16 hp single cylinder that I can't even tell you the model number.Both are very well made machines.Some things are over kill.I hope your model isn't like my YT16HE.... Engineering overkill.
I agree completely. I was given a YT15HE with a bad tranny. The heavy-duty Vickers hydro is sealed and you can't even add fluid to it... Sad, since this tractor was cosmetically nice, and has hydraulic lift, also.... I ended up pulling the 15HP single-cylinder Briggs engine out, and plan to put it in my loader. Even there, you run into strange engineering -- the oil pan on the Briggs is part of the front frame of the tractor. I had to unbolt the oilpan from the block in order to pull the engine. Now, I have to put a regular oilpan on it to use it in the Simplicity...

Well built with too complicated of engineering IMO. Kent, did the one you parted out have a fan blade on the tranny? I'd be interested in it if so, maybe I could get my 15hp complete enough to get rid of.Thanks

Marty, I think it does have a fan on the end of the driveshaft -- I'll get some pics today and see if that's what you're looking for....

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
I agree completely. I was given a YT15HE with a bad tranny. The heavy-duty Vickers hydro is sealed and you can't even add fluid to it... Sad, since this tractor was cosmetically nice, and has hydraulic lift, also....
I cant beleive you cant even add fluid to it. That sounds pretty stupid.

On my YT16HE the deck was so complicated it make the space shuttle look simple.Pulleys,springs,levelers,2 size blades,2 internal fans,unbelieveable!!!I got tired of fixing it and grafted a murray 46" deck on it.It weighs twice as much as a Allis deck however it had two great features.It cut the grass into microscopic pieces and it was rear discharge.The rear discharge was a great great feature.

Marty, is this what you're looking for? If so, give me a couple weeks and I'll pull it off for you. Like everything else, I'll have to remove several other things to get to it, and I won't have time until I get back from my road trip...

That looks to be the same one I took off of it and used on the 16hp I traded off for mail check services 2 years ago. No rush Kent, unlikely I'll get to it before next winter anyway orelse someone offers me what I consider the briggs and S/G worth. Kinda hate to tear down a working tractor, but if need arises it'll get scrapped.

anyone interested in an Gilson Tiller (in OR)? model # is GIL 33429 A Serial# 9131D1 420 faberri at ucs dot orst dot edu it's a tank, would be spendy to ship, but a Oregon vacation might be worth it. [img]http://pages.prodigy.net/ricknkath/ebay/tiller3.jpg[/img] [url]http://pages.prodigy.net/ricknkath/ebay/tiller1.jpg[/url] [url]http://pages.prodigy.net/ricknkath/ebay/tiller2.jpg[/url] [url]http://pages.prodigy.net/ricknkath/ebay/tiller3.jpg[/url]

RickF I have a gilson tiller just like it. I want to get rid of mine also, so if anyone wants one near Maryland , let me know (real cheap). John H

Patrician12: The mower deck had "internal fans?" What were they for--cooling? Grass movement? Where were they? It sounds very strange. These Gilsons sound very unusual...I'd like to see one. Thanks, Peter

Haven't had time to do anything with it. After vac. the weeds were out-growing my veggies. Plus getting caught up on yard work. I am trying to rebuild the 42" deck for the 2012, it seems like I need to replace everything on it. Oh, bought my sleeve hitch and one of the box blades from HD, gotta play with it some also..

It's funny that I found this post today. Over the weekend I was talking to my wifes uncle, he uses a Gilson and he said he has another one with a bad engine, but everything else is good. He said it has a Wisconson engine on it???????? I told him I had never heard of that type engine. Said he wants to get rid of the entire thing that it's just taking up space. I may have to go look at it. I told him that I'd ask about it on our wonderful site. Would anyone be interested? Were close to Pittsburgh

The 38 inch deck I have has 3 blades.One is about 4"in the front inthe middle.The deck is shaped like a triangle.The other two blades are about 18" spin in opposite directions and have impeller type fans mounted above the blades.The deck is rear discharge and really blows out the grass behind you.The problem is it has so many moving and adjusting parts its impossible to go 2 weeks without fixing something.The YT16HE Ford tractor is the same as the Gilson and I believe the decks are the same.

With all the talk about the non-starting engine in this tractor, maybe the problem is as simple as putting the right side tire on the right way, looks to me like the tractor dont know if it should be coming or going.