Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
JimC_Vt

J.D.316/Onan 16hp starter needed !

JimC_Vt
Hello all, The trial and tribulations of a 1984 J.D.316 continues to haunt me ....I lost spark and had to buy a new coil and plug wires ($130.00) once these were installed ,I tried starting the engine and the starter ups and quits...."Pulled the motor" to remove the starter (that was fun) and disassembled the starter finding 2 of the four brushes gone and one of the wires busted on the armature :o( Called my loacal J.D. Dealer and they stated that the starter for the Onan is N.L.A. "No Longer Available",it's a 1984 ,come on someone has to have a starter kicking around somewhere .... Anyhow it's a Onan 16hp twin cylinder Mod-B43E-GA016,and I need a starter for the old girl ASAP... any leads would be appreciated ! Thanks Jim P.S.Nothin runs like a deere ????

dratkinson
Is it possible for you to find some old guy that runs a starter/alternator shop and have your's rebuilt? Had alternator problems several years ago on a Saturday afternoon while traveling through a small town in Arkansas (Paris, I seem to remember). Parts stores didn't have the alternator I needed and couldn't get it until later in the week. But they suggested I take it to this guy that had been working on starters, generators, alternators for years. He had the capability to do everything to include rewinding them. Anyway all I needed was some new brushes, which he built from the carbon rod inside an old zinc flashlight D cell. Only charged about $30 for the labor, and didn't charge for the parts because the D cell came out of the trash. /r David

JP
Chack this out......... http://search-desc.ebay.com/onan-harley-hobart-helmet-cd-manual-catalog-starter_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsatitleZonanQ20Q20-Q28harleyQ2ChobartQ2ChelmetQ2CcdQ2CmanualQ2CcatalogQ29Q20starterQQsotextsearchedZ2QQpriceZ1QQsapricehiZ600

JimC_Vt
Well,Guys ,I'm usually the one that suggest Ebay first ,for some reason I posted my delima first,and then checked Ebay,I bought a starter for the Onan.....next is rebilud the deck ! But I want to thank you all for your responses Jim