Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

JimC_Vt

J.D.316/Onan 16hp starter needed !

JimC_Vt
Hello all, The trial and tribulations of a 1984 J.D.316 continues to haunt me ....I lost spark and had to buy a new coil and plug wires ($130.00) once these were installed ,I tried starting the engine and the starter ups and quits...."Pulled the motor" to remove the starter (that was fun) and disassembled the starter finding 2 of the four brushes gone and one of the wires busted on the armature :o( Called my loacal J.D. Dealer and they stated that the starter for the Onan is N.L.A. "No Longer Available",it's a 1984 ,come on someone has to have a starter kicking around somewhere .... Anyhow it's a Onan 16hp twin cylinder Mod-B43E-GA016,and I need a starter for the old girl ASAP... any leads would be appreciated ! Thanks Jim P.S.Nothin runs like a deere ????

dratkinson
Is it possible for you to find some old guy that runs a starter/alternator shop and have your's rebuilt? Had alternator problems several years ago on a Saturday afternoon while traveling through a small town in Arkansas (Paris, I seem to remember). Parts stores didn't have the alternator I needed and couldn't get it until later in the week. But they suggested I take it to this guy that had been working on starters, generators, alternators for years. He had the capability to do everything to include rewinding them. Anyway all I needed was some new brushes, which he built from the carbon rod inside an old zinc flashlight D cell. Only charged about $30 for the labor, and didn't charge for the parts because the D cell came out of the trash. /r David

JP
Chack this out......... http://search-desc.ebay.com/onan-harley-hobart-helmet-cd-manual-catalog-starter_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsatitleZonanQ20Q20-Q28harleyQ2ChobartQ2ChelmetQ2CcdQ2CmanualQ2CcatalogQ29Q20starterQQsotextsearchedZ2QQpriceZ1QQsapricehiZ600

JimC_Vt
Well,Guys ,I'm usually the one that suggest Ebay first ,for some reason I posted my delima first,and then checked Ebay,I bought a starter for the Onan.....next is rebilud the deck ! But I want to thank you all for your responses Jim