Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord 101

midpw

Good Morning folks......I need some help I've gotten a hold of a Landlord 101 with a front blade, mower, tiller and snowblower. A good find I think. BUT...The tractor has an odd sort of differential on the right rear axle casting that is cracked and damaged. I've taken it off and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be smarter to try (ask you guys) if I should just look for an entire rear end and gear box for this thing. Any thoughts, ideas or better yet maybe you've got an assembly that I need. Thanks in advance, Bruce

The guys doing this a lot longer than I will have to help you with this Bruce. But I would like to welcome you to the club and the best forum on the internet.

Welcome to the club! The allis/simp. diff is mounted on the right side of the axle tube(as you describe). There are several different failures that can occur with this diff. I'm not sure by your statement which piece you are refering to as cracked and damaged. Is it the diff carrier,the axle tube or the hub assembly? (hint, a picture here is worth more than a 1000 words) Another idea for you is to look up the service manual for your tractor at the simplicity techpubs site. With the service manual you can get a complete parts breakdown which would aid in identifing the parts that you may need. I'm also sure that if you really want to find a complete transaxle assembly a wanted ad in the classifieds would help.

OK.....I didn't give enough information. It's the cast axle tube that is cracked, actually it seems to be 'torn' open and will not support the axle shaft. I've taken the hub and the differential assembly off and was hoping to find a clip to slide the casting out of the main case. Am I missing something or do I have to split the case and work from the inside?

Sounds to me like you have something like this...

Yes you need to split the case, It comes out looking like this...

OK......you guys have been a great help. Looks like I'm going into the gearcase next! I'm not gonna restore this thing to showroom.....that's not my style, but because of all the attachments that came with it I do intend to use this tractor. Right now I'm mowing with a Gravely from the early 80's and I'm also working on another Gravely from the early 70's. Both Gravelys have a mower deck but thats all. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Welcome mid to the best place on the net! Sounds like the guys have you going. It you were closer, id try to sell you a gravely 432 commercial thats taking up space i need :)