Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Massey Ferguson 2927 Possible Deal?

rs07

Went to my local Massey Ferguson dealer yesterday to look at the 2800 Series that I had posted earlier here about possibly buying. I looked also at the 2927 Series, the same as the Legacy XL. I sure fell in love with it. I am talking with him about possibly trading my AGCO 2024 in on a 2927 with a 27HP Kohler Air-cooled Command Engine in it. My AGCO has a 48" mower deck with it, so I was inquiring about putting a 48" on the 2927. The dealer told me that he has four 2927's with 54" mower decks in stock that he needs to unload right away and will let me have a 54" deck for the price of a 48" deck. He is going to work with numbers and is supposed to contact me sometime later this week. I will keep everbody here posted as to what happens.

I've heard that the 54" deck is VERY heavy duty, and isn't something you'll want to be removing by yourself too frequently.... But, it does have pivoting front anti-scalp wheels to help roll it out from under the tractor. The hard part, I've heard, is lifting the heavy thing (almost 200 lbs) back up to connect it to the front mounting points.... Cal Neely had a diesel XL with loader in front of his shop the last time I visited -- I intentionally stayed away from it, knowing I'd fall in love with it and have a bad case of "new tractor fever".... Keep us posted....

The 60" deck on my 1920H weighs well over 200# and it was before they put the pivoting wheels on them. It is defenitly a handfull to tackle alone. I use a shovel to lever the front mount into place. After you have done it a few times it's not so bad as you learn what works for you. But I use it like a brush hog and I don't beleive any other manufacturer's deck would have lasted like this one has. Brush, hedges, little trees, stuff up to about an inch in diameter. If the tractor will push it down that deck will make short work of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, here it is now the 25th of June and I still have not heard anything back from my local Massey Ferguson dealer regarding the possible deal on the 2927. My guess is he really don't want my trade since it is only 2 years old and he probably figures he will have to give me top dollar for my trade. Not sure what I am going to do right now. If I decide to do anything I guess I will sell it out right. Maybe even list it on e-bay. But, for now I'm going to hold onto it. :)

I finally read the manual on mounting the deck. Put the lift cables or chains on. Raise the deck. Then pivot deck front to mounting holes. Its very simple and I don't have to lift the deck.

• 1 month later...
Well, I finally got a call from the dealer on the 2927 possible deal. The dealer told me he lost my information and then forgot about me. ?. He then told me that he has someone that is interested in my trade and asked me if I was still interested in dealing. I told him, "Of course, if the price is right." He said he will call me back with a figure. Hopefully, if everything goes right, I'll have a brand new Massey 2927 on my lawn in the next couple of weeks.

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
I finally read the manual on mounting the deck. Put the lift cables or chains on. Raise the deck. Then pivot deck front to mounting holes.
That's what I learned about my old 620. I found the cables would'nt reach the deck lift bolts, so I leanth'ed the bolts a little so I could hook them and lift the deck easily into place to pin it. I hate to have to remove the deck to use my rear attachments, but it's cheaper to do than haveing 2 or 3 powermax's around so as not to have to swap implements.lol

Well things have really changed in the last couple of days. I got a call from the Massey dealer today regarding the 2927. He made me an offer of my trade. The 2002 AGCO 2024 Diesel, 48" mower deck, 46" snowthrower, with only 68 hours on it and $6,000 for a Massey 2927 2-wheel drive, 27hp Kohler gas engine, 54" mower deck ,and 47" two-stage snowthrower. OUCH!![:0]. I really thought about it over the weekend and come to realize that the reason why I am trading this nice tractor in in the first place is because it is more tractor than I really need. The Prestige or Conquest is perfrect for my needs and it is more in my price range. My final decision is to go with my nearby Simplicity dealer, whom I have done business with for years. I will let everyone know which Simplicity I decide to go with and post the pics as well.