Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wrong carb Big Ten, will it hurt the motor?

poolshark

will running this carb hurt the motor? seems to run good, mostly white, light blueish smoke, no gov so u ride the throttle. a/c Big ten 10hp briggs, unknown carb.

It's hard to say whether it would hurt the engine... It's hard to even see the carb behind that air cleaner... The biggest danger would be in running too lean, burning valves... Also, not having a working governor severely limits how the engine functions -- it's designed to engage and run the governor with a load on the engine.... I'd try to find a good used one, including the carb and governor linkage, if I were you....

i got the original carb, but its in a box completely disasembled, along with a couple other misc carbs, ill get a kit, but only hope all the parts are there. i need to mow before then, how would i tell if it runs to lean? certain color smoke? plug readings?

If the exhaust pipe/muffler starts turning a greyish white, it's too lean. The correct color is a medium gray. Black indicates it's too rich... You can also check the spark plug. It will will be either the same whitish grey or slightly brown if it is running too lean...

I've run many briggs with kohler carbs. but cant say because i dont know what make your carb. is. KohlerMan

Randy Please read the post on repairing the dreaded RED Xand diskette [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/images/disk.gif[/img] problem It is just as easy for you to do this as for some one else to fix it. The problem is when you download your camera to your computer it does not contain the header code required (some cameras do do this some don't) the answer to this problem is to open your pictures with a photo editing program like Irfanview. (click here for download it is free)>>> [url="http://www.irfanview.com"][img]http://www.irfanview.com/images/iview_logo.gif[/img][/url] Rename the pictures with a file name that is compatable with the site. (no spaces or symbols) ie (MyTractorYellowTiller1) then click save as. then you can upload to the site.

As far as the motor being "hurt" by running the carb that you have pictured... I would say that no it wont. Like Kent said check the plug if it is a good tan color id say you are fine. I would not judge if the motor is recieving the correct mixture by looking at the exhaust pipe as this is not nearly as accurate as a plug check. I would however be VERY concerned by the fact that you are not running with a governor. You can very easily "over-rev" your engine and risk internal damage. Ryan

Got to have a governor.If a belt breaks and the engine freewheels you can kiss that connecting rod goodbye.

The possibly incorrect mixture may cause damage, but a bad governor will get you eventually, if you run it long enough.

A carb, is a carb, is a carb, as long as they bolt up with no vacuum leaks. The engine doesn't care what carb is on it, but the jetting in the carb must produce the correct air fuel mixture to make the engine run properly and prevent damage to the engine. Also a tractor requires a governor. Your carb has a vertical throttle shaft while the original carb had a horizontal shaft. You can make a small bell-crank assembly to produce the direction change and then hook the governors back up. If you do this and get the carb jetted right, it should work just as good as the factory carb. By the way, I have changed types of carbs many times. Ran a Ford V8 carb on a Chevy six. Ran a motorcycle Mikuni on a 5 Hp B/S. Also built my own manifold and ran a Ford two barrel carb on a 750 Suzuki 4 cylinder motorcycle engine. All of those applications ran better than the original setups.