Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Re:Early Simplicity Question

Karl_Brandt

You should be able to date the engine by the Briggs serial number. These tractors had model 19 Briggs motors originally. The 700 came out in 1957 with the 7 hp engine. In 1961 it became the 725 with a 7.25 hp engine. The 725 was replaced by the 9 hp Landlord in 1963.

Yea, it was 1959, the first year the four wheel tractor was the Wonderboy 700, the next year it was changed to simply the 700 to avoid confusion with the rear-engined riders. I am always looking for more accurate information to update the history section I have a B-1 Allis and I am having trouble finding parts for the Briggs model 19 engine. Specifically the cover for the ignition points. Right now she is a no start due to no spark.

Sure hope your Magna-matic ignition isn't bad cause they are REALLY hard to find.Hey is that true what I saw on the news that Ill. has the highest gas prices in the US? DLC//rnytd

hi carl have a 700 and son in law has a 725 was told 700 was 59&60 only mine has a model 19 briggs engine . im just starting to restore mine but it is in good operating condition good luck with yours jim

Karl believe it or not? But the pto engagement lever and linkage is different between the Wonderboy 700 and just the 700 if you need some manual pictures to show the difference just let me know. There are a few other changes that Simplicity made also. On the 725 with the Model 19D Briggs they notched out around the points cover and and provided a seperate removable piece for access to the points and condenser. Also on the Wonderboy 700 grill support there is no support at bottom in the center were as the 700&725 have a hole for a bolt and a support bracket mounted to the frame just like the 63 and up Landlords.

Illinois charges sales tax on gasoline. The road taxes are higher than some of the surrounding states, like Indiana and Iowa. The sales tax in Chicago is 8.75%. Yes, Illinois does have the best politicians money can buy!

I just bought a early Simplicity lawn & garden tractor today, looks like a Simplicity 700,725.What was the last year this tractor was made? What is the difference between the two tractors? I do not see a name tag behind the seat,and the simplicity name is no longer on the hood,looks like it has been painted before. The motor on the tractor when bought is a 8hp Briggs & Stratton cast iron engine. The motor does not turn,needs a major restortion. Does any one know if you can get a manual for this tractor Thanks for your help Karl Brandt[A href='http://geocities.com/yosemite/falls/5395/index.html'][img src='http://geocities.com/yosemite/falls/5395/Image050.jpg'][/a]

Karl,I have a MW Squire.They are a good little tractor.My dad bought it new in '61' and gave it to me last year........I think '59' was the first year and '63' was the last...............JB.