Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Hribar

17 GTH-L

Ronald Hribar
I just bought a 17GTH-L. Anyone know what the letters stand for? Paint, seat, tires all look great. It does have power lift, not power steering. Has perfect mower deck and leaf vaccum and cart. Also has tiller but cable for rear lift is missing as well as idler assembly that fits on rear hitch. Dealer will replace missing items. Everything looks like my 7116. But everything on this machine is tight where on my 7116 I was going to tear it down and do a total restorationon all linkage points. I know some of the members have this machine also. Does anyone know of any weak points on these machines? I heard motors are okay but have lubrication problems, would synethic oil prolong its life. I do have one small hill to mow.

Dutch
That's a fine machine. I believe the GTH-L stands for Garden Tractor Hydraulic Lift. The "weak" points are the same as any other Simp LFGT. BGB, axle tube, etc. As I stated before, these engines have a low capacity crankcase. Check the oil level and viscosity frequently, and keep those cooling fins clear. I don't know enough about syn-oil, but change the oil and remove the shrouds NOW before you start using the tractor.

PhanDad
I second what Dutch said about engine cooling. I picked up a 17GTH-L last summer with a blown engine. The intake screen was plugged with oily grass clippings and the shrouds were full of crap - the engine fried itself to death. I repowered it with a B&S 16 Hp and am quite happy with it. Only complaint is how easy it is to suck grass clippings into the engine cooling fan due to the open bottom frame (imo). So far it appears the Briggs screen/fan handles the clippings better than the KT17, so keep an eye on that inlet screen. As an aside, I also prefer the older Vickers hydro on my Homelite to the newer Sunstrand on the 17GTH-L - the older trans is smoother, maybe because of the newer "safer" shift linkage with is much stiffer than the Homelite's.

Ronald Hribar
One of the reasons I bought this machine was that all the linkages were nice and tight. My 7116H is sloppy on the Hydrostatic control, the Hydro lift, and the steering linkage. And i was always lead to believe the sunstrand was better than the vickers. I have one vickers and now two sunstrands. Is this new unit different from 7116 ?

Dutch
Other than the engine and paint scheme, the GTH-L is virtually identical to the 7116 (w/hydro lift). I don't think a larger oil pan is necessary. Just keep the OEM pan full. Here's what you may find if you remove the engine shrouds (it's only a one hour job). Engines won't last long if run like this. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/7117-eng-1.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/7117-eng-2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/7117-eng-3.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/7117-eng-4.jpg[/img]

Ronald Hribar
Wow. It just has been delivered. Sure sounds different from my 16 hp Briggs. I am going to take shrouds off and clean them and then change oil and air filters. Debating whether to change Hydro filter and oil as well.

PhanDad
The hydro linkages on both my Homelite T-12 and 17GTH-L are tight and well lubricated. To me , the Sunstrand just feels stiffer, and shifting from forward to reverse requires a "Z" pattern, where the Vickers doesn't. As to which is better, the Sunstrand doesn't leak and has no inherent design problems, while the Vickers has the pintle problem (my Homelite weaps), so I would agree that the Sunstrand is better. But my Vickers has been running for 30+ years without any repairs; I plan to find out if the Sunstrand in my 17GHT-L can live up to that standard.

UCD
The small frame Lawn tractors were LTG, (Lawn Tractor Gear) & LTH series (Lawn Tractor Hydrostatic). The small frame garden tractors are The GTG, (Garden Tractor Gear) & GTH series (Garden Tractor Hydrostatic) . The GTH-L is a large frame tractor. It can get confusing.