Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
rokon2813

Let's Go Racing!!!

rokon2813
They are about as ready as they are going to get. :D

Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow morning to letter the Deutz and the Homelite and get dads ready to go too....

rokon2813
Not so good today, but it was only practice. Found a few "bugs" to work out. :( Smoked the belt on 2 of them, which I was afraid of anyway. Since those 2 were variables, and I made them straight 3 speeds, the clutching system was all my design. B) So they got redesigned tonight 8D. They should do a little better tomorrow. By the way, with smoking belts, they still went half track. The third one, the Homelite, went nearly full track. :D:D Apparently I have some weight to move around. Never got the fronts to lift before they spun out. All in all, not too bad for an amatuer with 3 experimental piles of underpowered used parts. }:)}:) By the way Rod, with my guesswork, the green one came in 4 # light and the blue one 18# light. The orange one is a different story, I need to add 130 # to that one. LOL

rokon2813
Trust me Marty, it might be play for the kids, but its work for me. ;) Had our first points pull today. Jeremy on the Homelite, took a 3rd and an 8th. And the 8th was my fault, I debated gears and put him in the wrong one. :( David on the Deutz-Allis, took a 10th (picked up some dirt in the carb) and a 4th. Unfortunately, when he took the 4th, he also took out another axle tube. (Yea killer Reed! on the pocketbook lol) Brian on the Simplicity, took a 9th and a 10th. Consistent huh. He had enough engine but not enough tire. Gotta get him a bigger set. all in all, the kids are fairly happy and I'm impressed with how well I got the tractors to perform with what I had to work with.

HubbardRA
Dan, Good guess on the weight. I have found that scales can vary as much as 10# from week to week. Also I forgot that in all of the years that we pulled, we never used any tires larger than 23x10.5 on the Simplicity rear. I only used the 26x12 tires on the homemade chassis motorcycle engine tractors. Looks like the green one had the 12s, maybe that had something to do with axle breakage. I know a good set of 12s has lots more traction than 10.5s primarily because all 10.5s have too sharp of an angle on the tread compared to the 12s. Also make sure the boys are easy on the clutch when leaving the starting line. I've seen a couple of trannys broken from popping the clutch too hard. From my experience, they don't like to slip if set up right. Is the green one the tractor that didn't have a vari-drive? By-the-way, you wouldn't be allowed to run any of those tractors with the organization that I pulled with. We were required to have a minimum of a 4 inch high back on the seat to prevent the driver from sliding backward if the tractor did some crazy motion like a wheelie or a sudden turn. Every set of rules is different. I like your weight racks.

rokon2813
Rod, those seats just squeak into the minimum here, 3". Yes, the green one was a varidrive, and is now a 3 speed. It has a stock b series pulley on the front, I think 4 inch? and a 6 1/2 inch on the back. And yes, those are 26 x 12 x 12's on it. They are the wore out, but cut firestone ags. By the way, we stuck a tach on it to see, it is only running 2250 rpm. The blue one, that took third, is the one with the stock pulleys, it is running the high half of a six speed. It has the brand new, un cut 26 12 12 Firestone ags on it. Only 1800 rpm here. I stuck the tach on my B that I mow with just to see. Its only running at 2400 wide open, and by the sound of it, theres no way I'm turning these Briggs up to 3400. So I left the governors as is for now, I'll bring them up a little at a time to see what they do. The orange one, that ran out of tire, has a 4 inch pulley up front, and the low speed pulley off the six speed. So it is super slow :D but it also only has a 10 hp and has a slight knock so its fine that way for now. Its tires are 23 x 8.50 x 12 ags that are about wore out. I had a couple "ears" in the crowd, and heard that several spectators didnt expect much when these 3 came out moving so slow, but were very impressed that slow or not, they just kept going. ;):D