Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

System 7016?

flightmedic

Let me first say that my girlfriend is going to kill me. I am a member in other forums for my "odd and unusual aquisitions", and am the butt of her jokes at work about the time I spend at these other forums. This one may take the cake for her, though. Alright onto the story. I purchased what I believe to be a 7016 about 2 yrs ago when I bought my home in the country. It was/is weathered and was bought for what I thought then was the steep price of $500. I figured that I would use it for a couple years and then junk it in favor of a zero turn as I have alot of obstructions on my property. Well that $500.00 seems to have turned into a bargain as this thing is a dynamo. It cuts as good if not better than the new ones. The dealer came out to the house to service it and cut part of my grass and had to admit that he was very impressed. Last week though, the engine would not hold power under load and kept popping. I knew it was time for a valve job, but as I am saving for a wedding to the above woman I thought of my other options. And it must have been the day Murphy was on vacation, because as it fate would have it I had a replacement motor in my shop. It was sitting in a 60's Sears lawn tractor that I had been saving to use strictly for plowing snow. The lady I bought the place from left it and only was able to tell me her husband had made the deck (creative/not functional) and that the engine was new. And in looking and measuring, it was a perfect match. So with a heavy heart, I pulled it from the Sears and put it into mine in a afternoon. And in doing so, was able to witness the engineering behind my mower as I climbed over, under and around the thing. Pretty impressive to say the least. And with the new motor this thing is a monster. It cuts grass like a goat on crack cocaine. So the next couple days were spent going through the mower and dialing it in like I should have when I purchased it. It runs, drives and cuts incredibly. Now I see no reason in buying a zero turn and will strip this mower to bare frame as a winter project and refurbish it. I do however have some rudimentary questions though. #1: The motor that I removed was supposedly a 12 or 14 h.p. Briggs and Stratton. The new motor is also of the same make but is labeled as a 16 h.p. This probably accounts for the difference in blade speed I have noticed. Can I now move from the 42" deck up to a 48" deck without difficulty? And do I need a deck specifically for this "system"? #2: Can I mount a blade on the front for snow pushing; and again, does it need to be system specific? #3: Is that ATF in the hydro system? And where do I get that filter on the underside of the hydro? #4: Are these things rare? And if so, was it due to demand/price point or that these units were troublesome? Alright that should be sufficent to get me going. I am sorry for the long post. But once again I have noticed that this forum has the sense of community I have found in the other "odd and unusual" forums. So I doubt/hope not to have offended anyone. Also, that Sears lawn tractor in my shop is in great shape for it's age. It also is a heavy duty unit and has a ton of good parts on it. If anyone knows of someone who may want it (read: free) I would love to see it go to a good home. Thanks

Welcome to the club! If the engine is 16HP, you could easily handle a 48" deck. Decks for these are easy to find, lots of them will fit it, but i dont know for sure which ones. Most blades will also fit them, the older ones might need to be modified to lift though. I dont think theyre that rare, but again i guess it depends where you live. Hope that helps you out.

Welcome! The System 7016 should be much like the rest of the 7000 series which were made from the mid 1970's through sometime in the 80's. The basic design of your tractor was continued through the 2000 model year with the "Soveriegn." As far as a deck and blade they should be from a large framed simplicity but most after the early 70's should work without much trouble. Do you know what model the Sears is?

YES it is ATF in the hydro if it is red. Simplicity calls it multipurpose hydraulic fluid which is clear. It is interchangeable. Most dealers use ATF when servicing them. The filter can be bought at a Simplicity dealer or get a direct cross replacement Wix or Napa filter DO NOT USE A FRAM or other cheap box store brand. Most of the left discharge decks will fit. The ones from the older tractors the higth adjusters might interfere with the foot rest on the 7016 also you might have to change the pulley size on an older deck.. Any deck from 1970 up from a Simplicity 3300, 3400, 7000, 7100, GHT-L, Sovereign, series and Allis Chalmers 700, 900, series will fit with no problems. The front plows are basicly all the same with the difference being in that the 42" is a manual angle and the 46" is a remote angle and spring trip. There are some newer 42" plows that are remote angle and spring trip The difference is in the hitch to attach it to the tractor and folows the same guide lines as to what will fit as the mower decks listed above The older style hitches will work with modification to the lift arm.

In a pinch,I used a Purolator PER1A on my AC 712H a couple of years ago. It's still on there,with no apparent problems(knocking loudly on wood:)). Welcome to the club! If the 7016 is the oddest thing you've brought home,your girlfriend has nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the input guys. Keep it coming as I am a sponge when it comes to this stuff. Also, I am starting to think that when I was told it was either a 12 or 14 h.p. motor, the guy was mistaken as I keep seeing reference to the 7016 as being originally equipped with a 16 h.p. Is this a correct assumption? Maxtorman you had me scatching my head when you wrote that it was not ATF. In fact I am at one of my jobs and would have called my girlfirend to check the color again and maybe taste it (of course having her taste fresh ATF first), but I am quickly learning how far I can go with things before she thinks I am completely insane. Chris727: I am not sure of the model the Sears tractor is? I offer a reference point of my mower though. It is as big, if not a smidge bigger, than the 7016. It has a dual range (high/low) differential and a 4spd transmission. The "clutch" is a tensioner, much like that on my simplicity but driven directly off the crank. Like I previously posted, the deck was hand made and I have not found the original deck on the property so I cannot tell you size. I hope this helps. UCD: Fram seems to get alot of bad press. And it appears warranted as I also have a diesel truck and these filters have been proven to come apart clogging crank/piston oil jets. Any idea how much fluid goes into the system? Goatfarmer: Even though it is not unusual here, in the context of my girlfriends world, (city girl raised that deviation from normal/the church is to be severely questioned) it is. In addition, in her eyes I seem to have an unnatural attachement to these items and she has seen the emotional turmoil I have experienced over the catastrophic failure of an engine. She usually justs laughs though and loves me through it. Last night though she did balk a little when I told her my next project might me an old m37/dodge.

Pete, are you anywhere near Rockford? I'm going to be heading over there soon to pick up a plow for my Allis Chalmers CA farm tractor. If you're not too far from there, I'd be happy to pick up that old Sears while I'm in the area.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
YES it is ATF in the hydro if it is red. Simplicity calls it multipurpose hydraulic fluid which is clear. It is interchangeable. Most dealers use ATF when servicing them. The filter can be bought at a Simplicity dealer or get a direct cross replacement Wix or Napa filter DO NOT USE A FRAM or other cheap box store brand.
Learn something new every day. I could have swore I rembembered reading somewhere that it said not to use ATF. Anyways, sorry for the incorrect info.

Maxtorman don't worry. If there were a tabulation on all the wrong info I have espoused in my time, it would be embarrasing. JR, I am about 80 miles southwest of Rockford. I am just above Sterling (just off I-88) outside a small town named Coleta. I will be more than happy to meet you somewhere with it. I work in Aurora and make the commute every third day, (if this helps). Also just for clarification it is now sans the motor. If this sounds okay, my cell is 815/275-7911. Call me and we can figure things out.

It takes 96oz. The info is here in this post. Commonly Asked Questions/Transmission & Gearbox Lubrication Charts [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22258[/url] Simplicity in it's chart lists both for the Sundstrand model 15. Simplicity multi purpose or ATF Type A, F or dexron/mercon

Okay, Pete. I'm planning on heading over that way in about a week or so. I'll get with you and we'll set something up. Feel free to contact me offlist if you'd like.

flightmedic, I have an AC716 (same tractor) but I have put a 10 Hp engine on it, and am currently running a 48 inch mower with no problems other than slowing down the forward speed a little in heavy grass. I have a snow plow from a Wheel Horse that I hooked up to mine and it works great. I also hooked up a snow blower from a Sears Suburban and it works good. With some know how and a little staring and head scratching, nearly anything can be hooked to one of these machines. I also have an AC 712S that I built from a pile of parts from different tractors, and a 61 Wards (Simplicity 700). I love the way these machines are built. By-the-way, none of my machines have the original engines.

Flight Medic, welcome to the lub. I have an AC 716H (same tractor) and a 7116, I'm not sure of the difference in the 7116 & 7016. I have 48" decks on both and they work wonderfully. I usually plow with my ATV, but this year I will be using the tractors. If your looking for a 48" deck there are some on the e-bay fourm, one that I know of that's in PA (probably to far for you. If I may suggest you may want to invest 10 bucks and become a member, there is access to a lot of additional forums which are very helpful. Just a warning, for some reason it's addictive!!!