Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wrench Trivia

John_RI

We probably all have SAE and Metric wrenches in our tool box. I have a set that is neither SAE or Metric. Question, what is this system of sizing wrenches called. The wrenches come numbered like 22,23,24,25,etc. Tim

Well tim I beleive they are aluminum wrenches and come in #6,#8,#10,#12,#16. And they are used on AN-style, and braided hose. Or in english aircraft/racing tools. tpolomczak or aka tp

I, too, think they are the English wrenches -- what were they called Whitworths or something like that...

Well you got the English part right. These are pre-metric system UK and used on old British sports cars. Commonly known as Whitworth wrenches or should I say spanners. Many years ago I owned and worked on Austin Healeys and have a whole set of Whitworth spanners. Tim

Dang! If I'd been on earlier, I could have won! By the way Tim, what was the prize? And how many others here besides Tim and I are goofy enough to still have our Whitworths in our toolboxes? The next time a 100-4 breaks down in front of my house, I'm ready! Oh, and I saw a piece of an infomercial for "Metrinch" tools. They look like a close-to-patent-infringing knockoff of Snap-On 'Flank-Drives', from Taiwan, and are supposed to fit both inch and metric! If they're that sloppy, they'll probably fit Whitworth too! For a laugh, see: www.metrinch.com .
Fred

Fred, I shound have known you would have been into the British sports cars. Those big Healeys were great in auto-crosses and road races but to big for the packing lot races around the cones. The mini-coopers ruled there. I remember the mini-coopers had the engine and front wheels on a sub frame that you could unbolt and roll right out under the body, having lifted the body up of coarse. Say maybe we could roll that 4 banger under a Allis, set some cones up in the yard and make mowing a new sport. Tim

But I never had the bucks. I do get regular sunny-summer-day rides in a friend's beautiful 100-6, but I think he just considers me to be his riding mechanic!
Corvairs worked the same way as Minis, but everything came out the back!
As for the other, see: www.letsmow.com . (One of these days I'll learn how to post a link on this thing.)
Fred

Fred, I had a 1960 3000 Mk I BRG and a 1966 3000 Mk III IRR. Nothing like them before or after. Tim