Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
richp

16 hp. Briggs question

richp
I took my ailing 16 hp. B&S apart today and the only damage I can see is the piston skirt on one side collapsed. What I can't believe is how the bore came out unscathed. My question is how do you remove the camshaft? I have flywheel off and took off retainer plate but I can't get it out. Lifters seem to be in way.

JR
Hmm, that's strange... If you just need a bit more clearance, you might try removing the valves, or simply stick a screwdriver under the tip of the valve stem and pry the valve up off the seat, then stick a couple of slivers of wood under opposite sides of the valve head to hold it off the seat slightly. Do that with both valves. That might allow you to push the lifters up just enough to clear.