Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Decks, How do you clean yours ?

Boney

I clean mine off the tractor with a scraper or putty knife and an air hose. usually once a month or every 3 or 4 uses. But since I use the tractor for everything, the deck is off more than its on anyway.

Early in the season, every other mowing session, I pull off the deck and scrape it down with a plastic putty knife. During the hot dry months not as frequently.

I scrape it with a plastic putty knife, brush it down with a stiff(not wire) brush then wipe it clean. Next I use my metal file and file the blade edges flat and sharp.

If I cut heavy grass I clean it running with a garden hose feeding in the bottom. The hose does not have to go under deck to pull in water, but awful close. In the fall, I drive over dry leaves and cleans them up sleeker then all get out.

I clean and paint the bottom of the deck every fall when I am finished with mowing for the season. I also sharpen the blades at this time. Otherwise I just remove the sticks and clippings from the belt area.

I wash them after every use. Sharpen the blades when ever they look dull, Clean and spray the under side with truck bed liner in the fall.

I rinse after every use, and use the compressor to blow any standing water off the deck top surface. About every 6-8 weeks I'll pull the deck and scrape down the bottom side. The leaves in the fall really do a good job of cleaining it out as well. Then a lite coat of oil for the winter, and away.

A power washer really does a great job of cleaning up the deck. I don't have a routine, because it really depends on how wet the grass is. If I'm cutting in the spring, it seems I have to scrape or power wash EVERY time I mow. Now that things have dried off a little, I don't have to clean the deck at all. My new GATOR BLADES do a good job of keeping the deck a little cleaner, too!

I do it the same way as Guy does. The power washer gets a work out in the spring. As for the Gater blades, BEST thing sence the bread slicer.I have three sets. I change them every third mowing.

Do a general scraping of the underside with a piece of old wooden casing which is bevelled one one end about every other mowing (once every two weeks). Topside of the deck gets cleaned with compessed air. In fall the pressure washer gets used to clean it before storage.

I usually scrape the bottom of the deck as needed, every time in the spring and every two to three mowings later in the year. Pressure washing sounds good but I wonder if that forces water up in the arbors and bearings, causing premature bearing failure due to rust? A super cleaning and deck coating in the fall before putting them away for the winter is a must.

I wait until it rains and drive my tractor over a mud puddle and let it run for a little while. It really works good.