Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

EASY DECK REMOVAL

toad270

How do you remove youre deck from the tractor I'm looking for the easiest way. work SMART not HARD

On my grandfathers 3415 with a 48 inch deck I would unhook all the pins, place a 2x4 behind the front wheels and back over the deck.. Now I just lift the tractor most often.

Disconnect pins, cable and belt on my 48 inch deck, jack up front axle till wheels are above deck level and pull deck out. This eliminates finagling the front mounts around the wheels and gives more maneuvering room.

quote:
... the easiest way...
Get more tractors so you that can leave the deck on one... ;)

I aggree with Kent. I have 4.One to till,one to blow snow,one to grade and one to mow. Now that's giving it the ole one to punch.

I like your answer Kent Just can't afford it right now according to the misses. LOL

One tractor one purpose HB-212 = Mower, 7790 = Snow blower HB116 = Utility tractor, Johnny bucket, grader blade, Generator, Rototiller, 46" snow/dozer blade, chipper shreader. hopfuly there will be a forth tractor

Removing the mower deck on my 1998 Sovereign is very easy...if the proper steps are followed. 1. Lower deck 2. Switch off tractor (safety first). 3. Remove tractor to mower drive belt. 4. Start tractor and raise mower. 5. Same as #2. 6. Remove the front right side pin. 7. Remove the front left side pin. 8. Start tractor, and lower mower deck. 9. Turn wheel full right turn, and remove deck from the left side of tractor. Istallation is the reverse of this. This is the recommended routine, based on the owners manual. It works like a charm. I can easily remove my mower deck within 2 minutes. What kind of tractor are you dealing with? Gord

I always have to laugh at myself when I make an issue outta changing attachments on the Simplicity tractors, can't think of any that take more then 5 min. to do. Now go mount something on a gilson, then ya got a job to do.. Biggest pain I find on the mower deck is the belt as I don't have the lever system on the B-112 like I robbed off the 3314 to use on the Landlord and sickle mower, which I plan on making a copy of. I've also found if I put a chunk of 2x4 under the front of the deck when sliding it under the tractor its a lot easier. I go in from the right side of the tractor with the wheels turned sharp. Then use a 2x2 to raise the front of mower to hook up the pins, then fight the belt.

Took me a long time to figure out if you turn the wheels to the right as suggested above the deck will slide out the left side. Prior to that I'd use a floor jack to lift the front. Brent

I have had some trouble with the deck getting snagged on the PTO when I come out the left side, am I missing somethingor is my pto ragged?

My 1920H has a 60" deck and 26" dia. rear tires, so there isn't a lot of clearance between the front and rear tires. But if I jack up the front end so the front hanger will clear the tires even that 250# deck is manageable. Now on the 1918H with the 48" deck and 23" tires. Knock the pins out turn the front wheels all the way to the right and it just slides out.

Whenever I take the deck off my 316S to clean it, I pull it into the garage, remove the belt and pins, turn the wheels and it slides out. To put it back on I slide it under,attach the lift and raise the deck. Its pretty simple, this is one of the 42" shallow decks:) The deck stays on this tractor most of the time, the blower is used on the 917H, and the 912H is used for anything. Also, I will be getting a 410S soon that I think will be doing all the mowing.

First, I've learned you must remove the deck often for cleaning... that's if you want to keep it. So multiple tractors really don't help. Second, the easiest way I've learned is using a floor jack as mentioned above. Lastly, I like having multiple tractors, because something will break. I've got too many now and it's really a question which one I like besides the lawn machine. My favorite right now is the B10 with a mold plow. Surprising what this little bronco will do. The B112 cuts the lawn in 45 minutes weekly. The rest are collecting dust as it's sailing and boating time.

I have to agree with using a jack. I have a B-10 and I tried everything but kept getting caught on the front tires. I tried a bottle jack, it's little more time consuming but it works.

I remove the deck no less than once a week for other chores. The easiest way I have found, remove the belt first, then raise the deck, remove the pins (lift chain holds most of the weight that way), then let the deck back down, lay a small piece of 2 x 4 behind aech front wheel and back up. As long as the height adjusters are turned so they point front to back, the narrow front tires will clear the handles. :D Put it back on the same way, lay the boards behind the deck and drive over, attach the lift chain first so the lift will carry most of the weight. With the deck hanging from the lift, you can swing and move the deck around with one hand to install the pins with the other. ;)

I use a small bottle jack to lift axle out of the way to slide deck in and out. And to lift mower deck to hitch pins, I have a 3'0" 2 X 4 with a cleat nailed on one side to slide under the deck. I use this to lift the deck and the cleat keeps it from sliding backwards.

So let me get this straight, you guys drive on the deck????? I'm guessing you don't have the belt covers on. My mower is any one of my three running Broadmoors. I just simply lift the front and move it over the deck. Then do the same to the rear. Thouse little frame tractors are heavy but you can still lift them. Elon

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
So let me get this straight, you guys drive on the deck????? I'm guessing you don't have the belt covers on. My mower is any one of my three running Broadmoors. I just simply lift the front and move it over the deck. Then do the same to the rear. Thouse little frame tractors are heavy but you can still lift them. Elon
An early Broadmoor like yours I can stand up on end without the mower deck and without the aid of a hoist. You can't do that with a Soverign class as it will leave a lasting memory in your back

I have enjoyed reading all of the diffrent methods to remove the mower deck. Non the less through all of the methods it is a quick and simple operation. Thank you simplicity! My grandfather used the 2x4 method as described above. I have been using the floor jack method again nearly exactly as described above. either way is quick. It is a good machine. ! Cheers. Frank

I don't typically remove the deck unless there is a good reason. To get at the blades or to just clean it, I put my ramps on the pickup and drive it up the ramps. I slide under it on my large sheet of cardboard (gravel driveway) and can easily remove the blades for sharpening, can clean the underside of the deck and can make adjustments without bending over.

I also find it easy to drive over my decks and I use a 1 x 3 suspended by a piece of twine from the crank to lift the front of the deck for slipping in the pins.