Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
John_RI

May buy Allsi-Chalmers 916H pros or cons anyone

John_RI
I have an opportunity to buy a late model AC 916H with a number of attachments. What am I in store for in the long haul? Expected failures? Replacement parts availability? I'd like to go into this with my eyes open. Thanks ahead of time Tom Cain.

Hi Tom, I almost had the chance to buy one in excelent shape with one exception. A blown engine. But the tractor looked in mint condition as a elderly man owned it and he cuts about 3 acres weekly. I did some checking and found that just about every part is available for this tractor as the gentleman did have it repaired -let down for me-with a engine rebuild. I was hopeing he would decide not to have it repaired as I had a engine just waiting to drop into this thing. When you concider what a new one would cost today let alone attachments. As far as failures its just like anything else-take care and maintain it and just normal wear idems is what you can expect from what I have been told. They are a suppose to be a very durible tractor indeed. I hope this helps as I'm still dreaming about the one I almost had. Maybe someone else can add to this. Good Luck and please what ever you decide will you keep us informed?-->jackl<--happyjack<--

Kent
Tom, Before you purchase this tractor please check 2 things. First wipe all grease from around the right axle tube as you sit on the machine an CAREFULLY look around the tube around grease fitting for any cracks. If any cracking on tube is found it's an expensive job to replace that tube as letting cracks go will eventually brake axle and there she'll sit!! Second rotate center pto clutch back and forth on left side of trac as you sit on it, checking for excessive play in bevel box gears. If there's excessive play, more than 1/8 inch that's an expensive fix also. Other than the eng cond.that's the main things to look for Good luck with your purchse!! dlc

Fred
About 4 years ago I turned down a 918H (twin cylinder) with mower, snoblower, cab, rototiller w/ extension. The price was $3500. I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing it up (It would have been a hard sell to the better half becasue I already had a least one of all of the above items for my HB212). This may give you a starting point. As far as I know the 916 is a very good tractor with a good reliable engine. Most of the parts that fit that tractor go back to at least 1971 to 1999. Other than the engine, I believe everything on the tractor is the same as the 1999 AC 918 or SIM Soverign. Buy It!! -MS-