Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Yurodivy

B-210 Belt Blues

Yurodivy
My 3112V has been in the garage quite a bit lately, chasing down carb problems and whatnot. I'm please to say that thanks to a rebuild kit from Jack's and some patience on my part, the engine is tip-top again. However, nothing's more frustrating than getting her back out to do her job and losing the mower deck PTO belt and the main PTO at the same time. C'est la vie, no? The needed belts are on order through Jack's, delayed by the recent holiday, and meanwhile my lawn is turning ferocious. So here's the blasphemous part... I'm willing to lay down the cash to buy some aftermarket belts -- even if they only last one time -- just to get my lawn cut. I know all the caveats about using OEM parts and wholeheartedly agree. But you see, I have a lawn...and a wife. Can someone please let me know what a Simplicity 174911 (44.1" HA) and a Simplicity 157683 (29.2" HA) would translate into for (gasp) aftermarket belts? *running to take cover*

Kent
HA belts are 1/2" belts. Go with 44" and 29", but you may need to adjust the PTO engagement rod to make the 29" one work well. Get "Power-Rated" type belts (not automotive) like the Gates green ones... they're more expensive, and even they won't last as long as Simplicity ones.

PatRarick
Goodyear numbers for the 44" belt are A-42 or AX-42(same as A-42, but notched) for the light duty, and 84440 for the heavy duty. For the 29" belt, it is A-27 or 84290. Gates numbers are 6844 and 6829. Personally, I've had much better luck with Goodyear than Gates. The Goodyear prices are generally lower than Gates. Pat