Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

12 hp 717

bud119195

I am installing a 12 hp out of a 92 white garden tractor in my 717 and was wondering if some one could help me out? whatis the red and white wire harness is for, and the black coming out of the shroud is for? I have the white wire harness and was thinking of using it if it would be easier but there is all kinds of extras for all the safety switces

quote:
Originally posted by bud119195
I am installing a 12 hp out of a 92 white garden tractor in my 717 and was wondering if some one could help me out? whatis the red and white wire harness is for, and the black coming out of the shroud is for? I have the white wire harness and was thinking of using it if it would be easier but there is all kinds of extras for all the safety switces.
The red wire is a 3 amp DC charging wire for the battery, the white is an AC circuit for headlights only and the black is the magneto grounding wire. The head lights will brighten or dim when the engine RPM changes. To tell if your red wire is doing the job, connect a digital voltmeter to the battery and then run the engine wide open and observe if the battery voltage increases. This will tell you that you have the right wire. Also in the red wire there should be a bump. This is the blocking diode that stops the battery from discharging back in to the windings after the engine is turned off.

Got it running tonight by using part of the white wire harness and simplicity push buttonstart switch. Now all i have to do is make all the metal fit arround this big motor.I needed to move grill forward , notch hood for aircleaner, and modify gas tank bracket , When i get this done i am putting a real small pulley on rear end to see how fast I can safetley go down the road.Should be FUN

Bud, that looks like fun. Let us know how it turns out. I just picked upa 707 and was thinking of a bigger engine. JOhn