Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

To modify or not to modify?

Nick

A friend of the neighbors went yard sailing about 20 miles from here. He gotten mixed up on exactly what I needed for the tractor. I had told him any thing marked AC or Simplicity. I told him I already owned a fixed plow that I bought from Kirk, But was looking for 12" wheel weights. He got mixed up and didn't get the weights (someone had them for sale) For 20.00 he came back with a plow that he thought would fit. It's a spring trip dozer blade that is painted the same color as the older Sears Suburban tractors. It came with the hitch, and lift arm. It looks like it might fit a IH Cub Cadet. I looked at their website and it looks like it may be the same. My question is should I modify it to fit the tractor with the hitch or without the hitch. I am not sure if the hitch comes apart from the plow. (don't have it here to verify) I don't know the value of these and want your opinions what I should do.

If you want it for yourself, then modify the hitch. I converted a fixed wheel horse blade to use with my tractors, but have a spring loaded unit of who-knows-what origin that I want to modify. If you are going to re-sell it, then do not modify it. Most people will only buy stock attachments because they are afraid of modified parts.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
If you want it for yourself, then modify the hitch. I converted a fixed wheel horse blade to use with my tractors, but have a spring loaded unit of who-knows-what origin that I want to modify. If you are going to re-sell it, then do not modify it. Most people will only buy stock attachments because they are afraid of modified parts.
I took a much closer look at the plow this afternoon when it was dropped off. Loking a little more on the net, It looks like it would fit a 80's 90's model Murray. The plow is a spring-trip. It is pretty tinny compared to my Simplicity plow. I guess I am going to modify it then.