Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Case 222

maxtorman1234

Well, I Bought the case 222. Didn't hear it running, said it needed a drive clutch. Not sure what that is, but i put a s/g belt on it, removed the deck and it started easy with no smoke. No noises at all. Ran and drove very well. Takes off like a rocket down the hills though. Got it from a Deere dealer, He wanted 500, then came down to 450 and said he'd take 400. No tax either. I think it's a good deal. Appears to be in good shape, with hydraulic lift too. Could use a cleaning, but seems like a nice tractor. I dont think i'll be totally converting to the case'es, because of the hill problem. Here's a couple pictures. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/case2221.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/case2222.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/case2223.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/case2224.jpg[/img]

These old Cases are good tractors. The hydro trans. is just an early vertion of a simple gear pump, valve, and simple motor. That's why it runs away like it does. I think the clutch you desribed is the deck drive clutch. It is actuated by 3 cam-lock balls that compress against a friction disc to drive the belt. Worked great 30 years ago but it's probably pretty worn out now. My brother had a Case and the clutch gave out so we turned the shaft down and put an electric clutch on it. Later on I finally got the old thing from rescued from him and brought it home. Before I could do anything with it a friend of mine saw it and just had to have it. I traded him for some stuff and he took it home. A mounth latter he had it restored and at a show and a guy offered him 3000 for it. Boy was I shocked. Good luck with it.

Thanks, I agree, it is a good tractor. It runs and drives fine, I put the deck on and it cuts pretty good, but keeps disengaging. Not sure what this clutch is like to work on, but i'll have to take a look at it. The best thing is that there is no BGB driveshaft, or other junk to mess with. I think I like these better than the Allis'es. I also have 2 near be I can get. They are perfect for what we need. Just need to adapt a blade for it. I;m happy with it:) Kinda regretting buying that 410S now.

My friend has a 220 CASE and a 155 CASE. Both in excellent original condition. He likes them alot but he has alot of other garden tractors too,Matt

Did you get a hood with it? I wouldn't mind having one of the old 155's. The case's look just like a mini farm tractor, the 222 resembles the old 970 or 1070 Case Agri King.

Yep, I got the hood and everything. Pressure washed the tractor, and it looks alot better now. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/completecase.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/cleancase.jpg[/img]

Tractor cleaned up pretty nice. Scrub up the wheels and polish the hood and it'd look almost show ready. Is that an anti-scalp roller bar I see on the back of the deck?;)

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Tractor cleaned up pretty nice. Scrub up the wheels and polish the hood and it'd look almost show ready. Is that an anti-scalp roller bar I see on the back of the deck?;)
I think that is supposed to be an anti-scalp roller, but it dosen't seem to be working. I pressure washed the hood later, and it cleaned up pretty good too. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/cleancase1.jpg[/img]

Ok, at the risk of sounding really dumb-why is there what looks to be a tranny cooler hooked up to the fuel tank? The thing cleaned up nice.

quote:
Originally posted by toriuspendragon
Ok, at the risk of sounding really dumb-why is there what looks to be a tranny cooler hooked up to the fuel tank? The thing cleaned up nice.
Good question, The fuel tank is actually under the seat, The tank at the front is the hydraulic resivoir, and that's the cooler attached. When i first went to look at this, I thought it was the fuel tank too, but then realized it was oil inside. Then i saw the cooler attached.

That cooler is needed to keep the hydro fluid cool. Sharp looking tractor. Hope tpo find a Case 180 series someday as the look like the Case 830 and 930 Comfort Kings from the late 60's.

Here is my friends CASE 155. I have riden it and it is one sweet little tractor. Hydro tranny is smooth as silk. I am a hardcore A-C man but I would like to have this one in my barn,Matt8D

I was told once that the drive system on these old Case units was actually a hydraulic drive not to be confused with hydrostatic. Also, that some kind of valve is supposed to lessen the 'runaway' factor when working on hills with these units. Of course all of this information may be wrong...and I'd gladly want to know that.

quote:
Originally posted by SimpleMan
I was told once that the drive system on these old Case units was actually a hydraulic drive not to be confused with hydrostatic. Also, that some kind of valve is supposed to lessen the 'runaway' factor when working on hills with these units. Of course all of this information may be wrong...and I'd gladly want to know that.
Yep, theyse are hydraluic drive, very much different from hydrostatic drive. There is a high/ low on the transmission, and the decal on the dash says to put it in low when on hills. Sure helps it go up, but isn't very noticible when going down. Since the fact that the tractor runs away when going down hills, we were thinking of making a hydraulic-driven hydrostatic Allis. THis would replace the bgb's and driveshafts. Only problem would be driving the deck on models with a clutch on the bgb, But the deck could be made hydraulic too;) One day when another bgb goes, and if we find a Case for parts, we'll weld up a bracket the same shape as the bgb, and put the hydraulic motor inside it. Should work:)

Well, I went to the dealer today, and ordered the part for the clutch. $47. Also found out from him, that the tractor is a 1969 model. Alot older than I thought. It's the oldest one i have, but it runs the best and shows the least wear. Got the part today, and to bond it to the clutch, I have to "bake" it. I get to put tractor parts in the oven:D Hope it works

Nice looking ride! I also have a Case (220). Unfortunatly I've never been able to use it. Mine is missing the cooler in the front and is impossiable to find a used one. They made various changes to the inlet and outlet to these coolers. I believe I need one just like yours. I have talked with several Case collectors about this with no luck in finding one. I have other coolers around that I could "make" work, but would like to find an original. If anyone has any help I would really enjoy getting this tractor restored. Thanks for any help. Dan

last week i went to pick up a case 444 for my brother. Nice tractor looks stought and strong . He has a few bugs to fix but runs nice and clean. it needs a new muffler and some lines fixed but no major problems. He got it with a plow and mower deck for 600. While there I got a front half of either a big ten or B-1 not sure but has alot of small goodies on it. I called the guy to ask him a couple questions about the tractor he sold my brother. He says he has a simplicity 725 there hes looking to get rid of, but it is a basket case, its in baskets disassembled. But he also had a powermax sitting with no motor in it. told him i would come down in a week or 2 to take a look at all the stuff he has...

I saw a cooler on ebay like mine the other day. Heres another that i think is the same. Buy it now for $20 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50377&item=4315340348&rd=1