Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wheel studs

richp

After struggling to get bolts started on rear wheels, I finally threaded two 7/16 bolts from inside of hub to help line up holes. I also took the nuts and turned a bevel to fit in rim hole better. The 23x10.5 rears are awkward to get bolts started.

My loaded 23 x 12 x 12 ags weigh in at 74# and are a real handfull to mount. I have a headless stud I screw in to use for alignment while installing the lug bolts then pull it out and put in the perm. lug. Rather than lift the wheel assembly, I use a jack to get the proper height, and just roll it up to the tractor and slide it on. Still a handfull but somewhat easier.

Dutch had posted an article a while back on this also He used a cut off bolt... [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24550[/url]

Guys, I have been running studs for years. Just go to a hardware store and get 7/16 fine thread bolts. Screw them in from the back side. On the right side, you will have to loosten the collar and pull the hub out some to get the bolts in from the back side, but there is enough clearance between the flange and the diff to make this work. The new bolts need to be about 1/2 inch longer than the stock bolts. Use lug nuts from 60s-70s Chevys. I buy mine at speed shops or places like Pep Boys. They are listed as 7/16 Right-Hand threads. I use the chrome, acorn type, because I like the chrome hot rod look.