Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Choke & Puke...not hamburgers...Help!

plh_in

I have an '86 DeutzAllis 916H. I had not had it very long when after mowing for a while it would pretty much flood itself & barely run. So...I put in a new inlet needle, baffle gasket, bowl gasket, float pin, and a new fuel inlet seat [though the new one was shaped a little different...?]. In any event, the tractor will start & run if the throttle is wide open. If I try to throttle it back, it wants to flood almost instantly & I cannot keep it running. Its so bad gas will run from the carb. Do I need to get another fuel inlet seat? Anything else I should be looking at???? Its running worse now than when I started messing w/ it!! Any help is greatly appreciated! The grass is growing & I cannot stop it!! - Pat

Sounds like you have the same problem that I have. The float sounds like it is taking on gas and sinking. Remove the float, and hold it up to your ear and shake it to see if there is fuel inside. If not, then you may have a leak around the siphon tube where it goes through the fuel bowl. Make sure that is seated tightly. The seat you are talking about can be easily checked. Remove the fuel bowl, then re-mount the carb and hook up the fuel line. Turn on the gas and hold the float up to seat the needle. If fuel comes out around the needle or under the seat, then the seat is definitely your problem. If you do not get many responses to your post, then you should think about joining the club. Only $10/year. Club members get more attention than outsiders.

I was thinking it's a bad float too. I had an old Tecumseh tiller that I had that problem with. It would run wide open, and then when I'd back off on the gas, it would just flood out and die. I ended up just junking it, because it was such a pain to work on.

I'd check the float too, I had a carb on my 310, It would start and run fine, but every 10-15 minutes it would flood and stall, and the gas would drip out.