Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Roy

Would You Paint It? Update With Pictures

Roy
I'm working on the steering gear assembly for my 7013S. After disassembly and cleaning it is obvious that none of the parts have ever been painted. Some parts, like the bushing for the steering shaft, should not be painted. The main casting and some other parts can be painted for appearance if desired. So, the question is, would you paint any of the parts? Or, would you reassemble without paint as it came from the factory? Just curious as to the what the majority opinion will be. Update: The pictures show what I decided to do.

The various answers were interesting. The "cast" paint is an option I had not thought of. I wanted something bright so it will be easier to see when I am beneath the tractor or inside the dash cowl working on it. I elected not to install a grease fitting as recommended by Dutch. The parts have some wear but will last a long time. This is the steering assembly I got from Smiling Sam some time ago. Thanks,

jkmustang1
Eastwood company Has three or four metal colors to resemble unpainted parts. Used their products for detailing years ago at my uncle's shop Find the shade closest to the original unpainted part and go from there.

HubbardRA
Use new paint for corrosion/rust protection, even if you are not doing a restoration. When I first reassembled my AC716H, I painted the whole thing with black rattlecans from Dollar General Store just to prevent rust. Unfortunately, I have not gotten around to covering it with AC orange yet, so it is still black. Bushings and holes can be covered with tape or coated with grease before painting. The painted grease wipes right off. Most times I use Vaseline because it goes on thin and does not leave as much residue as lithium or some of the more tenacious lubrication greases.

10HorseMan
If not painted, moistue will cause it to rust and corrode. Paint it any color you want it just make sure it is a protectant against rust and corrosion. My 0.02$ worth. :)

toad270
That looks good like that but the sides of thgears may rust. You could have painted them as long as the paint wasn't in the teeth. The grease fitting is a very good idea.

HubbardRA
Beautiful paint job, Roy. I think I would have also painted the rack. Just coat the gear teeth with grease before painting and it will come right off first time gears are used. You could also mask off the teeth. According to Murphy, if you don't paint it then the part is guaranteed to rust overnight. Many times, parts that are not painted at the factory have a thin coating of protective grease on them. When you clean them spotless like you did, then the protection is removed. This will make them more likely to rust. Just my opinion. It means nothing, and sometimes is worth less.

JR
I too would have painted the rack. I also would have opted for the grease zerk. Lubrication is always a good thing! I'd also smear a layer of grease on those gear teeth too before you put it back in the tractor.