Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Update on narrow front massey ferguson 10

tractormike

I finally got around to tearing the massey down and repainting it. It has 6 inch tri rib tires on the front and 6.70x15 rear tires. [img] /club2/attach/tractormike/IMG_0372.JPG [/img] [img] /club2/attach/tractormike/IMG_0373.JPG [/img] I have 2 more sets of the rear tires. I was eyeing up my B-10 parts tractor and was wondering how a B-10 would look with a narrow front on it. Maybe a project for this winter!

I custom built this tractor from one that I found in a junk pile. It originally was a standard garden tractor with a wide front and 12 inch tires on the back. I had always wanted to build one like this and finally found enough parts. This tractor was built out of parts from 5 different tractors. It does have a steering gearbox out of a 416 allis, along with an engine and seat off from a sears to get the original model tecumshe engine. I think I will try the B-10 project. I have quite a few different tractors and I like the conversation value of the odd duck tractors when we go to shows. Glad you like what I've done with this one.

What a fabulous conversion! That is one great looking tractor. ;) My father-in-law is into those Masseys - wait till I show him this one! [:0] Mike :D

looks great that will be a great conversation piece. I think a B-10 would be cool. do you have any close ups of the steering controls?

Mike, that one looks great! Do I see another MF10 or and MF12G in the background? Does that narrow front make for a tighter turning radius? What kind of paint did you use? I've got 2 Masseys I'm working on, a 16 and a 12 hydraspeed. Neat looking tractors. The MF 16 shares a simialr mower deck to my 416H.

hay mike how did you do tthe front end and weredid you get the tires and rims of ove? its looks grate

There is a mf 12 hydro in the background. It needs major engine work to live again. My narrow front has close to the same turning radius as it did originally. I didn't want it to turn to short so as to make it unstable. I'll take some pictures of my steering setup and post them later. The paint is from the local massey dealership, original colors in a spray can. The rear rims are from space save spare tires from a car. I don't know which make of car but they have the same bolt pattern as the garden tractor. You just have to torch out the center flange of the rim to make it fit the tractor hub. The rear 15 inch tires I got off from a small irrigation boom. The front rims are wheelbarrow rims and the front tires came from tucker tire. This whole project started 3 years ago when I came across 6 of the 15 inch ag tread tires from the irrigator. I found the massey last year and liked the fact that it was made to look like the big farm tractors so I decided to use it. I scaled everything from the back tires and I found that I could use 6 inch tires under the front end and the tractor would sit level. I have seen a couple of john deere tractors at dyersville that had narrow fronts on them but the still had the 12 inch rear tires and the tractors didn't sit quite right, to tall up front. I was thinking that if I was better at sheet metal work I would build a 2 row mounted corn picker for this tractor but that may be a bit much!

Beautiful Tractor...I have never seen a small tractor with wheels like that on the front. What is the reason for the small front wheels together?

That is the neatess tractor I have ever seen!! Nice job!! Maybe you could show the rest of us how you did that.........Thank's for the pic's..........Dave

Farm tractors come with either a wide front (standard tread) or a narrow front ( row crop, made so you can cultivate and harvest crops planted in rows). I like building things out of the ordinary. To my knowledge there are no garden tractors factory made with a narrow front. The massey garden tractors have the same styling as the big farm tractors made in the late 60's and early 70's. Massey made very few narrow front farm tractors. I thought this would make a sharp looking tractor because anyone that knows what a massey farm tractor looks like would have to guess if this is an up sized garden tractor or a miniature sized farm tractor. Tonight I finished repainting the wheels so they have the center red with the silver rims. The only other thing I may do is to make some front end weights to put on it. We are going to go to 2 shows that are featuring massey farm equiipment. This latest project should be good to start a few conversations.

Mike, the only one I know of that built a garden tractor with a narrow front end was the Bantam. many years ago and pretty rare.