Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

To drag or lift rocks?

Well I've not found a loader yet, so I can't lift rocks... So I'm thinking of dragging them. I've got a few rocks I want to move... flat land, maybe up a small hill or down a hill. What's your solutions? I was thinking of making a sling and attaching a rope. Is that a waste of time?

Go to a junk yard and buy a small car hood to use for a skid.. You would be suprized how easy you can move a large rock on one..

Some where I seen a picture of one tractor pulling another using his 3 point hitch like a wrecker. He had a 1 inch rod about 3 or 4 foot long and used it like a wrecker boom and had the front end of the other tractor about 8 to 12 inches off the groung with it. But you might need some counter weight up front for this. This might work to move rocks also. I couldn't find the picture.

Car hood or snow sled / saucer work well, tying them on does not work well as they roll and come untied

Just tying it to the tractor might not work well. The rock digging in the ground may cause harder pulling. most car hoods are smooth and would slide over most surfaces easily. My $0.02 worth :)

I just finished building a rock sled. I used a -U- shaped communications frame 1/4" steel dolly Mounted 2 6 foot 2x6 rough cut, a plywood cover. I mounted a cat 1 3 point pin set and a large eye bolt to pull with a hitch with a chain. I figured I could also use my ford 9N and be able to lift one end to make unloading easier. I was amazed I wad able to slide on to the sled, slabs of concrete with the aid of a hole/bar/rod. I was able to tow the slab without grass damage, when I could not budge it with a chain attached to the tractor. I figured I would try the sled out with my 700, but we got too much rain to see how it does.

I used a hood from a Honda CRX that worked well until we ripped a hole in it. I am still finding more rocks to move so I plan on getting another one.

Old Ford pick up hoods (70's) work the best I have ever seen. With the 6 plus inch curve in the front, they will slide over nearly anything. :) also makes a great downhill sled for 4 or 5 adventurous adults. ;):D

A dolly with large pneumatic wheels (Harbor Freight sells one for about $25) works well for heavy rocks as long as the ground is relatively flat. Really aids in landscaping. Works well also in moving cross-tie timbers.

quote:
Originally posted by toad270
Some where I seen a picture of one tractor pulling another using his 3 point hitch like a wrecker. He had a 1 inch rod about 3 or 4 foot long and used it like a wrecker boom and had the front end of the other tractor about 8 to 12 inches off the groung with it. But you might need some counter weight up front for this. This might work to move rocks also. I couldn't find the picture.
you mite be refering to this?

I have seen the car hood trick used before in junk yards to move large items and it works well. talk to Kirk about rocks, he has postted pics of working with some big ones and would probly be able to give you some good advice. Get a FORD {For Organizing Rocks Daily} truck hood.

You can drag far more than you can lift, even with hydraulic lift.... Been there, done that, though not to the extent Kirk has....