Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wonderboy 700 ? rare or fake?

I've got a Wonderboy 700, at least that's what I thought I read on the emblem. It's all together and it has a hydraulic lift on it. It has the mower deck. I'll get some pictures at some point and post these. I am selling this because I have way too much stuff. I'd like some help identifying it. I've looked on the main page of this site and I can't find it. It actually looks like a 725 and not those rider types I see pictured. So I am not sure if it is real or fake. It is also yellow with pin stripping. Have you seen anything like this? The only reason I am not keeping this is the following: I bought 9 tractors and this is only one of three that had life (we put gas in the cylinder and it kicks). The other 6 will become parts machines unless we find they have one last chance. Three are already destined this Friday to disapear into parts because they had axle problems...broken.

An Unofficial History of Simplicity Garden Tractors [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/history.htm[/url] "The first 4 wheel garden tractor was the 7 horsepower Wonderboy 700, introduced in 1959. In order to avoid confusion with the rear engine models, this tractor became simply the 700 for 1960. In 1961 a slightly more powerful engine was installed and it became the 7.25 horsepower 725. The 725, with yellow paint and minor sheet metal changes, became the Allis-Chalmers B-1".

So Maynard, do I have something really rare? I'll get photo's and put them on here. This one is painted yellow and has a weird hydrolift. It sits between the drivers seat and the dash. Thank you for finding that, I didn't find it in the Simplicity section.

The Wonder Boy 700, 700, 725, and B-1 will not accept the stock hydraulic lift since there is nowhere to mount it(due to placement of gas tank and battery). Check the engine, it should be a Briggs 19 for a WB 700/700 with a Serial No. dating to maybe very early 1962 at the latest though probably much earlier. Mine dates to mid-February of 1960 and I think they stopped badging them as Wonder Boys at about the same time. I base this on the fact that the 700 variant was built in 1959/60, being upgraded to the 725 for 1961-63. The '63 model changed to an angled shifter and the pan seat and used a Briggs 19 D. BTW, I've written before about when I contacted Briggs about the difference in horse power and how to tell apart the Model 19(7 HP) version used in the WB 700/700 from the Model 19(7.25 HP) used in the 725 and B-1. The reply was that according to their available reference material, ALL Model 19 engines were 7.25 HP........

DaddyCat, I'll photograph this hydraulic unit, as it seems like a rare after market device. I was told it was made for these, but didn't come on them. It's interesting. Thanks for the info, pictures as soon as I can get the tarps off. We're stripping the bad machines friday with power tools and torches.

The local Simpicity dealer around her has a wonderboy 700 It was the first tractor the original owner bought for himself. Its real rough, looks like it was droped off a truck and may be back over by a truck. I offer to buy it but the guy said he planed to rebuild it some day. When i showed him a pic of my 101 he got very interesred and told me of a Big10 he could get me for parts. (the Big Ten is siting in my back yard today). Its a little store in a little town with a lots of parts and nice people. A lot of parts that fit my tractor thats almost 40 years old, hes got then in stock. He also told me who was the original owner of my tractor and who had it till i got it.

Below is a photo of this machine. Notice the hydraulic lift unit between the dash and the seat. I'll get photo's of this after I get this out of storage for better photo's.

So is this yellow color correct? Or did someone go through the trouble to paint everything yellow? It is a good paint job if they painted it.

Someone has added the hydraulic lift... using what appears to be a hydraulic lift off a later B-series tractor. It's not original (or a dealer-installed option) by any means.... Someone has also painted it... is there an ID plate behind the seat? This may be an Allis B-1 that someone put a Simplicity hood on, and painted it to match? Otherwise, they've painted the whole tractor....

Kent, let me get photo's of the hydraulic unit, it isn't a AC/Simplicity. It has a name and looks to be an after market part for these tractors (sort of like the Kwik Way Loader was). It actually has the company on the hydraulic unit, so we could trace this. I'll look to see if this is a B1.

This had a sleeve hitch in it, so who know's what they ran on this. I really appreciated the hydrolift with the mold plow, I think the use of the hydrolift helped make the plow more agressive. If I was getting stuck, I could lift the plow where I was struggling with the manual lift. Those hydrolifts are really strong.

One thing I notice is that the hydraulic cylinder is mounted to the right side of the lift shaft. This leaves no where to hook up a front mounted implement lift rod. Among things that would use one are a front counter weight, blower, snow/dozer blade, Weed & Brush Cutter, and Revitalizer for OEM implements, and other manufacturers' products like the Johnny Bucket or Sweepster broom.... All of these are not available for use on that machine dut to the cylinder mounting method.

This is the plate for the Wonder Boy msg# 990168:

This is a Century Fox Hydro-Unit Model 15A75:

Any ideas about this?

Boy does that look dangerous! I can't imagine having a belt that close to the family jewels!}:) WOW.... Certianly not a factory nor dealer installed item IMO, and I'm glad that one's your's and not mine! LOL

Well it's worth something even if I take it off. If I find it wasn't a kit, then perhaps I'll fabricate a different setup. It looks like a nice hydraulic unit anyway. I am still searching the internet for some info about this unit. Here's a better clip of the plate on the hydro unit:

Any ideas?

Well I found that "Century Fox Co., a division of Hein-Werner Corp." made the century fox unit. I'm various bits about "CENTURY FOX PRESS", "Hydraulic Jacks". I found the "Century Fox" name in the sites below related to Hydraulic Units. A lot of folks don't like the Hein-Werner corp, there are a lot of negative sites regarding that company and they have special EPA poluting permits. Though I still have not found information about the unit pictured above or anything on "Model 15A75". http://www.hydjack.com/hjlinecard.html http://www.joneshydraulic.com/parts.htm http://www.blackhawkparts.bigstep.com/generic18.html http://www.bondfluidaire.com/suppliers.htm#c

quote:
Originally posted by richp
Dumb question but how do you shift that thing?
The shifter is right in front of the hydro-unit. Seems Bolens used a Century Fox cylinder. I'm pretty sure that is coming off this tractor.